Justin Timberlake

I'm 'Deeply Sorry' for

'Distasteful' Wedding Video

10/26/2012 9:00 AM PDT BY TMZ STAFF
breaking news

1026-justin-timberlake-tmz
Justin Timberlake
has just issued a formal apology for the "distasteful" wedding video that hit the Internet this week -- seemingly mocking homeless people -- and he's so serious ... he's forcing the guy who made it to do community service.

Justin apologized in an open letter on his website to "clear the air," calling the video that surfaced on the web -- in which real homeless people offer Justin their well-wishes for his wedding -- a "lapse in judgment." (excerpt below)

Justin says the video was NOT actually shown at his wedding, and insists he had NOTHING to do with its creation, but writes, "I am deeply sorry to anyone who was offended by [it]."

He writes, "I was always taught that we as people, no matter what your race, sex, or stature may be, are equal."

As for the "friends" behind the video, Justin adds -- "My friends are good people. This was clearly a lapse in judgment which I'm sure no one who is reading this is exempt from. But, I don't believe it was made to be insensitive."

Nevertheless, Justin says, "I think we can all agree that it was distasteful."

Justin ends the letter, writing, "You can bet your ass that I'm having my friend do at least 100 hours of community service... Boom."

Click to read the full letter below.

AN OPEN LETTER

To my family, friends, and fans:

The last time I wrote a letter like this, it was when I had the good fortune of attending a once in a lifetime experience by sharing an evening with some of America's finest at the Marine Corps Ball about a year ago. I was so moved by that night, I wanted to share it with everyone. Unfortunately, this letter holds a different kind of weight for me.

Normally, as some of you know, I am (by nature) a pretty private person. So, I don't really take it upon myself to comment on things that so often go misunderstood or something that has even shed any kind of dark light on what was and will always be one of the most special weeks of my life. But, in light of the recent events, I can't fight the urge to clarify my thoughts and feelings on what has been a very upsetting portrayal of the people closest to me and myself. It's not who I am as a professional or as a man.

I can't help but think of one of the many great life lessons my Grandfather has taught me... He told me when I was younger that "Sometimes, you are confronted with challenges in life that perhaps are not your own. And, when those moments arise, the right thing for a man to do is accept that responsibility, whatever it may be, and face it with honesty and humility."

So, I'm taking his advice. If for no other reason, than to clear the air so no one has to ever wonder how I feel about it.

I'd like to start off by saying that I don't live my life making fun of people (unless, of course, I'm making fun of myself on SNL)... Especially, those who are less fortunate or those in need. I grew up with a family and community that instilled ideals in me like hard work, honesty and empathy. As a matter of fact, growing up in Tennessee, I was always taught that we as people, no matter what your race, sex, or stature may be, are equal. We have a saying there that "Everyone puts their pants on the same way(maybe this saying doesn't apply to guys who wear kilts. Although, I'm sure they put theirs on the same way too...)"

As it pertains to this silly, unsavory video that was made as a joke and not in any way in mockery:

1. I had no knowledge of its existence. I had absolutely ZERO contribution to it.

2. My friends are good people. This was clearly a lapse in judgment which I'm sure no one who is reading this is exempt from. But, I don't believe it was made to be insensitive. More so, I think it was made as a joke on me not having that many friends attending my own wedding(which IS kind of funny if you think about it).

3. Like many silly rumors that I have been made aware of about the week: It was NOT shown at my wedding.

4. I think we can all agree that it was distasteful, even though that was not it's intention.
Once again, in the world that we live in where everyone thinks that they know everything, I want to be very clear... I am NOT defending the video. I agree with the overall consensus. But, to use another "pants" analogy... It seems that these days, misconception gets around the world before the actual truth even wakes up and gets it's pants on.

I want to say that, on behalf of my friends, family, and associative knuckleheads, I am deeply sorry to anyone who was offended by the video. Again, it was something that I was not made aware of. But, I do understand the reaction and, by association, I am holding myself accountable.

Thank you for giving me the opportunity to share my thoughts. It really is a blessing to be able to speak directly to my true fans so that you can know exactly where I stand.

-Justin

P.S. You can bet your ass that I'm having my friend do at least 100 hours of community service... Boom.

JustinHater

I still don't like you Justin You Married Mt wife Man Not cool at all you better write another saying sorry to me Mr.Cry me a Rive, You bastard you stole my wife lol Ok Im done good luck to ya tho big head
Da_Black_Kid_ Justin Blackberlin

Guest

I'd believe his apology if he donated some of his millions to the homeless. It's just no sincere. He's passing the buck on his douchey friends who he still plans to associate with.

Rick

Just like he didn't mean to take off Janet Jacksons bra? This guy is a ***** at heart , and never takes responsibility.

Malibu

I was so surprised to see this. There is absolutely not in any way you appear to be a person who would find this amusing. Hopefully your friends have received a good tongue lashing and are out of the will. As for this gentleman, looking to make amends?

Emilio

Apology not accepted JT....

Doug

In reality just another pompus ass that assumes he is above everyone

karen

If you are really sorry give some of the millions you
spent on a wedding to build a homeless shelter!
Greed is a horrible thing.

pam

I am so tired of the "I am sorry" .....line from those who spend more money per day than most people have all year, you come from the Mickey Mouse Club and do not forget it, your Moms are stage people and groom you, your lucky and mistake that luck for talent.I am telling you the truth Justin and Jessica T. your not that talented, your just allot of lucky. Why do you think community service is always the answer? why not drop some money? 6.5 million on a wedding that will last 15 to 20 years if LUCKY, where as a Middle class would last a lifetime, someone has to start it and it is sad that the people who know how to do this do not have the money to start it up. The Good Lord will judge, not just people like you but me also, but I know one simple truth, if I had all the money these people do I would never waste it on giving more money back to the wealthy.I would have hired small business, struggling caterers and such .This is called putting money into, and backing the middle class...not feeding the wealthy 'wedding planners' more.

John

I don't care what people say. He is butt ugly.

jon

so, how much of his millions is he donating to charity ? Or is this just a desperate attempt to clear of an already damaged image and maybe get ome free publicity for a career that is pretty much non existant.

This guy was always an *******. pushing around smaller photographers. Bullying people smaller than he.

piece of work in my book. Thankfully, I dont listen to his movies or have I watched the 2-3 movies he was in.

Butterfly

HE APOLOGIZED??? If anyone believes his "sincerity," there is a bridge in Brooklyn anyone can buy for $5.00. His "open letter" is a "mini book." Boy, he is dumber than I thought. Has he never heard of when you excuse yourself, you accuse yourself??? It fits him, doesn't it??? My husband, now deceased, was a dedicated Shriner, as they all are. After I saw Timberlake and Mila Kunis, inappropriately, grope each other on stage during the MTV Movie Awards on June 6,2011, I became my husband's spokesperson and wrote a letter to Shriner's International and complained about their behavior. Timberlake was pitchman for Shriner's Children's Hospitals and Shriner's Children's Burns Centers throughout the world. Thankfully, he no longer represents our children. Hopefully he is, forever , gone and forgotten.

billybob

Hey Timberlake, your apologies are costless for you and worthless for others. Don't talk, PAY!

Madam Obvious

Our friends are the family we get to choose for ourselves. As such, they are reflections of us, as we tend to choose the people most like us in terms of likes, dislikes, attitudes, lifestyle, sense of humour, etc. As the saying goes "You are known by the company you keep". The saying wouldn't exist if there was no truth to it.

The person who made the video is a close friend of JT, so presumably he knows exactly what JT's sense of humour is like, so he tailored the video accordingly. He must have known that JT would be amused by it, otherwise he would have not gone to the trouble he did to make it. Never, ever forget that the very rich and privileged folk like Timberlake and his pals are vastly different to you and I in their life experiences, their attitudes in general and the people they choose to surround themselves with. It seems they honestly thought there was nothing wrong with this smart-ass, mocking video which was designed to humiliate the homeless. You should never rub peoples noses in their misfortune, because our lives turn on a dime. If the video had never been leaked, there would never have been an apology, so I don't believe that it was not played at the wedding. And if you think that JT wrote this apology and not one of his publicist flunkies, well there is a tower in Paris I want to sell you.

Liz

I hope the community service will involve helping homeless people, because maybe then the friend will see how over-privileged he really is.

billybob

Timberlake is NOTHING, He is and was just a casting marionette due to the mercy of some music producers who think to make money with this "pop star" - impersonator. Those Timberlakes are generally full of sh*t, because they have never done anything successful without any help, but they have learned to play as if and to do exactly what's expected from them. He is not even worth to give those homeless people some money and feel good about it.