George Lucas

NEW 'STAR WARS' MOVIE

Disney Buys Lucasfilm for $4 Bil

10/30/2012 1:26 PM PDT BY TMZ STAFF
breaking news

1030_disney_lucas_article
If George Lucas wasn't rich before, he sure as hell is now -- because Disney just bought his movie company Lucasfilm Ltd. for $4.05 BILLION ... and has already announced a NEW STAR WARS MOVIE!!!

Lucas said in a statement, "It's now time for me to pass 'Star Wars' on to a new generation of filmmakers." According to Disney, "Star Wars: Episode 7" is slated for release in 2015.

Lucas will be a "creative consultant" on all new "Star Wars" films.

It's pretty crazy ... considering Lucas said he would never make another "Star Wars" movie -- telling the New York Times, "Why would I make any more, when everybody yells at you all the time and says what a terrible person you are?"

Lucas even told us directly back in March ... "Star Wars" was DEAD forever.

0329-george-lucas-star-wars-ex

Zadoc

Don't freak out. Lucas hasn't been making good Star Wars movies, and Disney has been doing a great job with the Marvel franchise. This is the best thing to ever happen to Star Wars.

POLL: Is Star Wars better off with Disney?
Vote here: http://bit.ly/StarWars2015

SoWhat

If they aren't going to release the original UNTOUCHED trilogy on DVD and Bluray I really don't care who owns it, it's a total disgrace and slap in the face to all the fans that grew up with the originals and love them As far as a episode 7 being made, it can't be any worse than the new trilogy that Lucas screwed up, might actually be better if he's not the one calling the shots for how the movie gets made.

D'Artagnan

It's all Bush and Mitt Romney fault !!!! Well, according to all the Dem-wits out there in TMZ land!

derp

When it comes to this lame movie franchise..Disney you ARE the father

David Wells

They should turn the books into a cartoon, kinda like the Clone Wars!

TJ

As long as George isn't writing or directing, I'm OK with a new Star Wars movie.

billybob

BTW, Lucas is planning to reanimate the "Howard The Duck" franchise with a prequel: Howard will be introduced as sad little egg...

brenda

I've never seen any of the Star Wars movies and have absolutely no plans to do so. Perhaps if there were one or two chapters, I would have considered it. But to pound an idea in to the ground over and over just turns my shi*t off.

It's called overexposure.

rhode

I'm a Star Wars fan. And I have a husband and kids who dress in movie quality costumes, (ie. 501st approved). We think this is a bad idea. It will end up being a Pirates of the Caribbean with endless/needless sequals every two years.

Toilethead

And it will be a straight to video disaster.

Victoria

Well 4.5 Billion changed his mind.. of course..
and New Star Wars movies will bring in jobs..

So, what's the problem??

jayman419

He only said they were dead because fans ripped his new movies apart.
Ever since he divorced Marcia (and got her blacklisted in Hollywood) his movies have sucked. She was the only person who could stand up to him, and tell him plainly when something wasn't working.
After she was gone, he surrounded himself with "yes men" and proved himself to be a pretty mediocre writer and director.
I'm pretty sure she got part of the Star Wars money for 15 years after their divorce, which is why it sat on the shelf for so long after Jedi before suddenly appearing everywhere again with re-releases and new movies as soon as that time limit ran out.

Robert

As much as I think they will suck and will be worse then the second trilogy he did...I hope they use the trilogy Timothy Zahn wrote...they were good reads and didn't have the crappy marketing characters like jar ja... either way I'll be there opening weekend like a schmuck drinking the juice with everyone else

MikeyMike

For everyone who thinks this is a bad idea, remember Disney bought Marvel. I'm very glad of this! Terrible idea? Obviously not. You can all quote me on this, they can't possibly destroy star wars as much as George Lucas had done.

Amazed

I couldn't figure out how Disney had the nerve to increase ticket prices at Disneyland, in this awful economy. Now, I understand. They needed some spending cash for LucasFilm.

Previous 15 Comments | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | Most Recent | Next 15 Comments