Phillip Phillips' Family

'Idol' Champ's Forcing Us

To Sell Pawn Shop

11/3/2012 6:30 AM PDT BY TMZ STAFF
EXCLUSIVE

0612_philip_philips_pawnstore
Phillip Phillips
' family says the singer left them high and dry after winning "American Idol" -- refusing to help them out financially -- and now, they've been forced to sell their cherished family business ... Phillips family sources tell TMZ.

The Phillips family-owned Albany Sporting Goods and Pawn -- which has been in the family for 24 years -- is scheduled to hit the auction block on December 1st ... and we're told, Phillip's dad hopes to use the profits to cover the family's mounting debt.

We're told Phillip's dad hopes to bring in between $200,000-250,000 during the auction.

We're told Phillip's family has reached out multiple times to the singer for financial help since he hit it big, but Phil has blown them off.

According to Phillips family sources, the family's especially hurt by the singer's radio silence -- since they spent a ton of money on travel expenses so they could see Phillip compete on "Idol."

We made multiple calls to Phillip Phillips over several days -- but our calls were not returned.

Thom Peavy

This is the kind of thing we see with so many who become successful. The family leaches come out of the woodwork expecting something for being a sperm donor. try taking responsibility for your own financial cir***stance.

bcats

I don't believe this story!

Robert

If he won't help his family, that needs help........then Philip Phillips is an *******! I don't care how good he can sing (supposedly!)! If he won all that prize money & turns his back on his struggling family, he's a worthless piece of ****!

furious cupcakes

This dude doesn't have any money.

marie

Most Idol winners are not successful...just a few lucky ones. Not sure if this kid has what it takes..time will tell.

Corinne

WHy do these families just "EXPECT" their children, cousins,siblings who are lucky enough to win/make some money to give them some of it?? What exactly was going on before they won or earned their place in life. This kid should live his life and if he feels the need to help his family do it. Otherwise his family should quit whining.

Monica

Why should he have to bail them out? He is just getting started in the world, and perhaps does not have the liquid cash to help. They need to help themselves

Kathy

I LOVE his song, Home. Could define the Jersey Shore right now.

jrcole

why shd he help them why does family always expect someone that is wealthy to give them money .i say they shd have taken better care of their business

phillip2013

People need to stop worry about phillip. he a blessing and he finally got what he needs. I had a family something like that, but the diffidence was, I dont have alot of money. But in same thing. His family shouldnt be expecting him to give that kind of money out, that he dont have.

Jamntam

Simply not true! I live in Leesburg and work in Albany and know this family. The pawn shop has been for sale for a long time. They are a very close family. In fact Phillip was just here at his families house for Halloween.

HtotheT

I had a pending settlement for a couple years after a substantial, debilitating injury. Stupidly stayed with my toxic family who did nothing to help me despite my generosity in helping them clean and fix up the house, etc. 40-year-old sister who lives there and has been a welfare scammer for 13 years and drains the parents' retirement wanted me out so she could rule the roost again. She concocted lies against me (stealing a used textbook? intentionally bringing a broken hair brush and a bathroom scale and blaming it on her son so that I could get $20 out of her? really.) So the parents kicked me out, despite my barely being able to walk. Six months later: I get my settlement and guess who contacts me and acts like nothing happened at all and wants money? I told them they will never get a cent from me.

FAZY

IF PHILLIP PHILLIPS IS IGNORING HIS FAMILY IN NEED HE IS NOT A TRUE AMERICAN IDOL; I CAN'T UNDERSTAND WHY IF THEY CAME OUT OF THE WOOD WORK WITH HANDS OUT THEN I COULD BUT IT SEEMS HE'S JUST GOT A BIG EGO. I'D HAVE GIVEN ANYTHING TO BE ABLE TO HELP MY PARENTS.BUT NOW IT'S TO LATE; GOOD LUCK PHILLIPS FAMILY.

Nichole K

This was put up for sale prior to him winning Idol. You actually posted a story on it.

surfrog

I think this guy has aspergers syndrome which is a form of high functioning autism. You can tell the way he puts his head down and looks up, lack of eye contact, I remember when he was on Idol he was very uncomforatable talking. Aspies don't have the same sense of family, compassion and feelings regular people do.