Phillip Phillips' Family

'Idol' Champ's Forcing Us

To Sell Pawn Shop

11/3/2012 6:30 AM PDT BY TMZ STAFF
EXCLUSIVE

0612_philip_philips_pawnstore
Phillip Phillips
' family says the singer left them high and dry after winning "American Idol" -- refusing to help them out financially -- and now, they've been forced to sell their cherished family business ... Phillips family sources tell TMZ.

The Phillips family-owned Albany Sporting Goods and Pawn -- which has been in the family for 24 years -- is scheduled to hit the auction block on December 1st ... and we're told, Phillip's dad hopes to use the profits to cover the family's mounting debt.

We're told Phillip's dad hopes to bring in between $200,000-250,000 during the auction.

We're told Phillip's family has reached out multiple times to the singer for financial help since he hit it big, but Phil has blown them off.

According to Phillips family sources, the family's especially hurt by the singer's radio silence -- since they spent a ton of money on travel expenses so they could see Phillip compete on "Idol."

We made multiple calls to Phillip Phillips over several days -- but our calls were not returned.

Mystery Guest

Why should he be expected to bail out his parents' business?! I'd be embarrassed to ask my kids for money.

marti

haha he and his family are cursed because Jessica SHOULD have won
this is Karma ,I always thought he sang like Kermit the frog

Shag

WTFU Phillip this is your family.

Katydid

We don't know any details about their relationship. Maybe they were nasty to him. Maybe they were abusive. It only says they paid to go watch him. So, they were suddenly interested in him since he was winning? He doesn't owe them anything.

Richard985

I don't believe this sorry at all! Phillip Phillips would never do that to his family he was too close to them. TMZ slanders all the time.

GritsGal

The family should have let him die instead of paying for his medical bills. He was always ungrateful when interviewed stating he didn't want to go back to work at the family shop. How he won Idol is beside me cause he can't carry a tune in a wheel barrow and his face looks like he's straining on the toilet. Remember that vein across his forehead? It hurt me to watch and I turned down the volume when he came on. I am sure that the parents paid for ALL HIS EXPENSES which add up quickly. I'd never pay a penny for one of "his" songs. PP you had you 15 minutes now MAN UP & pay back your parents. KARMA ****head...Karma.

ndavlin

Its the same with your athletes, when they sign a contract, they have relatives coming out of nowhere each with a sob story. In most cases, they have given already a large amount of money to their parents, but the parents shouldnt expect them to support them. If that was my child on AI, and I couldnt afford to go beat every program, I wouldnt go. If the show wanted me there, I would tell them to pay for it. But I wouldnt sasacrifice my house or business to be there - my support would be by phone, He has been thrown into a new world with whatever money he has. If he isnt careful, he will go the way of many others, and will be on the streets if he gives it all away. As a parent, I would not want that to happen by being greedy,

Fred

Is this any worse than obama letting his poor brother live in a cardboard box back home in Kenya?

Selebraties Suck

TMZ, thanks for writing another stupid story to take attention away from the suffering in NY/NJ.

Most pawn shops there are underwater and we're not giving a fluke!

Keep up the good work for the Democrat Party, TMZ. We appreciate your continued coverups!

Signed,
Obama.Biden

awaki

This young man is not obligated to shoulder the financial responsibilityof a company in business for 24 years. If they weren't able to manage their finances any better why should he now allow them to use his and mismanage that? He is responsible for himself and his future family. Their excess spending to follow him around shows their judgement in use of funds. They experienced the joy of the trips not he. Keep your money Phil. Don't throw your future away on them or you will be looking to your child to bail you out.

LN

There are always 2 sides to every story... and WHY should the children (successful or not) be held accountable for the parent's financial stability. This makes no more sense than parent's being held accountable for their adult children's finances.

AC

He is probably considering his future. Selfish? Maybe. However if his music career flops he might be wishing he helped his family.

bstill

Isn't he stuck on MONOTONE! As for the family, they're probably leeches looking to suck the life out of him!

Katie Mae

I live in the area where Phillip lives and I don't believe the story about the family. It was obvious during the show how close Phillip was to his family. I imagine that there are business reasons for the auction. I imagine his father is ready to retire. Fame won't change Phillip. Someone is mean spreading this rumor.

jp

This story has to be false... when he won idol, the very next day TMZ had this photo saying they were selling... doesn't make sense to me that they would already be selling it and now its bc he won't give them any money!