Ukrainian Singer

Suing Over 'Call Me Maybe'

Carly Rae Stole My Song!

11/8/2012 5:00 AM PST BY TMZ STAFF
EXCLUSIVE

1107_Aza_youtube
UKRAINE NOT WEAK ... Ukraine sue -- at least that's what one hot Ukrainian singer is doing, claiming Carly Rae Jepsen shamelessly stole her slutty Christmas song ... and turned it into "Call Me Maybe."

The singer -- who goes by Aza -- is filing the lawsut in L.A., claiming "Call Me Maybe" is a carbon copy of her song "Hunky Santa" ... which producers simply tweaked before adding Carly Rae Jepsen's voice.

According to the lawsuit -- to be filed today by Aza's lawyer Barry Rothman -- she's suing for unspecified damages ... but based on how insanely popular "Call Me Maybe" is, a ton of money's on the line.

Aza tells us, "I'm shocked and surprised that these people wanted to sample my lyrics on their song. They didn't ask me for permission, they just took it. That's why I filed this lawsuit. When I first heard it on the radio, I was driving and almost got into an accident. I couldn't believe what I was hearing."

As for how similar the songs REALLY are -- you be the judge.

Scooter Braun -- Justin Bieber's manager -- is also named in the suit.

Carly's rep tells TMZ, "This is completely false and [Carly's] lawyers will deal with this. Everyone knows [Carly] is a songwriter. She is not spending a lot of time listening to Ukrainian radio."

UKRAINE IS GAME TO YOU?!?!

kcrosie

Um, no. But it is an interesting marketing ploy to get your Christmas song played in American right before Christmas. Eek though.

HAHAHA

Both have two things very much in common wich is they both were written by some one with the musical talent of a gerbil and their 15 min of fame are now at 14:59...

Quilleyfan

I think she'd have better luck filing that lawsuit against Courtney Stodden.

Louise

It doesn't sound anything like Call Me Maybe. It is probably just a way for her to be noticed.

Mystery Guest

WTH? Just because she also says "call me" doesn't make it a rip off.

kgee

Ok, so she succeeded in getting people to watch her video

loe

Nothing in common, even worse than call me maybe. No talent stripper who cant sing cant dance. She looks like a drag queen and some queens look better than her!

SheisHot

Both of them need a good long gagging, gaping with a cream-filled finish!

adelle

"HOT"?

She looks like a 50 year old haggard hooker from the 1980's...gross.

and no, the songs sound nothing alike.

MzReeses

This was terrible and nothing like Call Me Maybe

bigfoot6155

This Aza is a dumb skank. Her song is nothing Like Call Me Maybe.

donnythesavage

Aza sounds more llke the singer from from ramstein

donnythesavage

Aza sounds more like the singer from Ramstien

stricken123

What is this all about?))

Russian translations you can always read at http://showbiz-world.ru/

DaveT

To my ears I don't hear the similarities...but thanks for the vid of the hottie, good stuff