Ukrainian Singer

Suing Over 'Call Me Maybe'

Carly Rae Stole My Song!

11/8/2012 5:00 AM PST BY TMZ STAFF
EXCLUSIVE

1107_Aza_youtube
UKRAINE NOT WEAK ... Ukraine sue -- at least that's what one hot Ukrainian singer is doing, claiming Carly Rae Jepsen shamelessly stole her slutty Christmas song ... and turned it into "Call Me Maybe."

The singer -- who goes by Aza -- is filing the lawsut in L.A., claiming "Call Me Maybe" is a carbon copy of her song "Hunky Santa" ... which producers simply tweaked before adding Carly Rae Jepsen's voice.

According to the lawsuit -- to be filed today by Aza's lawyer Barry Rothman -- she's suing for unspecified damages ... but based on how insanely popular "Call Me Maybe" is, a ton of money's on the line.

Aza tells us, "I'm shocked and surprised that these people wanted to sample my lyrics on their song. They didn't ask me for permission, they just took it. That's why I filed this lawsuit. When I first heard it on the radio, I was driving and almost got into an accident. I couldn't believe what I was hearing."

As for how similar the songs REALLY are -- you be the judge.

Scooter Braun -- Justin Bieber's manager -- is also named in the suit.

Carly's rep tells TMZ, "This is completely false and [Carly's] lawyers will deal with this. Everyone knows [Carly] is a songwriter. She is not spending a lot of time listening to Ukrainian radio."

UKRAINE IS GAME TO YOU?!?!

Buddy The Elf

They are almost identical, except being totally different.

destini

They sound NOTHING alike

Lothandra

I think she needs to shake her head. Foolish woman your song stinks and is Not like carly's

Bagheera

Listened to the song. It sounds similar to a remix of Call Me Maybe.
---
The way she sings is quite different. If you are willing to say that she sings. Sounds closer to, in tone, a presidential speech with musical accompaniment.
---
The only lyrics I heard in the song that were the same were "Here is my number. Call Me." Other than those words, Aza's song is about screwing guys for presents. Carly's song is about 'I think you are hot, want to date?" I can understand the concepts coming from the same tree (you are attractive, let's spend time and money together), but they are not of the same leaf.
---
This is just a get rich quick scheme for someone who is not globally popular.

Brazilian chick

Oh please, the music sounds like the annoying song "Friday"
Watching this video was disturbing to my eye sight and ear drums. She should give up on singing!

RoadRig

CLEVER FREE PUBLICITY STUNT!!! Shame on you though....

I am Spartacus

wow nothing about the song is similiar. At least the first minute because that's all I could get through. This is simply a case of her suing so her name will get out there (mission accomplished) and get people to actually know who she is.

Rebecca

They sound NOTHING alike. Aza is so full of herself.

Barb

I want to punch myself in the face after listening to her song. I heard nothing that sounded like "Call Me Maybe". Oy.

trish

Aza and Farrah Abraham should make an album together called who can f u c k up auto-tune the most.

Sandra

Pathetic woman with no case!!

amy

what exactly am i missing here?

Mickey Kafka

I can totally see the resemblance.. one is a video of a cute girl with talent singing a fun, catchy song. And the other is video of a woman with no talent, barely getting through a horrible song with no melody.

good luck in court, natasha.

BE

This sounds nothing like Call Me Maybe!! This chick just wants attention and people to hear her music.

smarty