Shannen Doherty

Calls Cops

After Twitter Fan Threatens Suicide

11/13/2012 10:25 AM PST BY TMZ STAFF
EXCLUSIVE

1113_shannon_doherty_01
Shannen Doherty went above and beyond the call of duty to help a possibly suicidal fan Sunday night ... working with police from across the country to make sure the fan didn't harm herself ... TMZ has learned.

The Westampton Township Police Department in New Jersey confirms ... Doherty -- who lives in L.A. -- contacted officers late Sunday night and told police she had been receiving several disturbing tweets from a fan who threatened to kill herself unless she got a phone call from the actress.

Sources close to Shannen tell TMZ ... the actress had reason to believe the fan was in possession of a gun.

According to the WTPD, Shannen was able to get the fan to reveal her address ... and cops were immediately dispatched to the woman's home.

Once police arrived, the officers met with family members who said the person of interest was a 27-year-old woman who was at home in her room.

Cops spoke with the woman ... who insisted she did not wish to harm herself. Cops also say they found nothing that would lead them to believe she was a danger to herself.

The woman was offered medical attention -- which she declined -- and cops left the scene after determining she was safe in the care of her family.

Shannen later posted a message on Twitter, "Thank you to the Westampton police department for being diligent and so reassuring."

Cujeaux

One of her eyes is much higher than the other.

chichifrogslegs

good for Shannen, she did the right thing. no matter if that lady was lying or not it showed a great deal of character on Shannens part.

Amber

Good for her, you never know when some one is serious abotu something like that. Hope the family will get the woman some help, if she truly needs it...

marymac

Why take a chance, it's good that she called .. emergency services are for situations like this. I like Shannen anyways, she does ads for online college that convinced my stubborn nephew to go. :)

IceGypsy

People in distress often reach out to people like that. You never know if they are serious or not. Why take the chance when a phone call or two could help someone.

I connected with an old grade school friend who threatened that over FB. Took a few of us to get help to her. When we talked to authorities, they were familiar with her, and she apparently she had a history of trying to hurt herself. She was taken to hospital. Had we ignored her, who knows what might have happened.

Justsay Nohan

She probably did this on a bet or dare. Truly pathetic if true. She should be prosecuted to the fullest extent of the law if she had no intention of killing herself. That's not a joke. Not a prank. You're preying on someone's sympathy for a fellow human being (a stranger at that) to get what you want. Disgusting.

JR

It's people like this that ruin it for real fans that have an outlet to interact with their favorite celebrities. Thanks to Shannon for extending a helping hand, but she should have never been put in that place to do that. As for the 27yr old, may this be your wake-up call to get help or grow up. You should be charged with a misdemeanor stalking charge and have all your social media accountants deleted.

Phreaky

It's so strange, I've heard about this happening several times (Demi Moore did it also, along with a couple others I can't remember) - But when Tila Tequila threatened suicide one night, my daughter called LAPD and they couldn't have cared less. She finally gave up, after he asked her to explain the situation for the 4th time.

Don Martin

I don't believe it she did the same thing to me. I emailed and told her if she didn't have wild sex with me I was gonna off myself. Darned if she didn't call the cops and I got charged with, "Assault with a dead weapon". Sheesh! That wench!

M.T.

I live close to Westhampton nj, there is a psychiatric hospital in the center of town. Shannen did the right thing...

Tracy Lalonde

Wow! That was actually nice of her. I bet a lot of "celebs" out there dont give a fu*@ . However that was a pretty pathetic attempt for a person to try and get a celeb. to twitter them back.

KicksandGiggles

Shannon did the right thing. However that azz drip fan should reimburse tax payers the cost of her little idol exageration!

DucNut

If you are following this broads "tweets" you will probably figure out sooner or later that you have finally hit rock bottom and decide to eat a shotgun barrel too....

Kaitlin

I remember that on twitter that girl was really messed up. Shannen helped me and another person alot to make the woman not hurt herself

Emilio

Maybe the Twitter fan saw a pic of her face...what happened to her??

Previous 15 Comments | 1 | 2 | 3 | Most Recent | Next 15 Comments