Dick Van Dyke

'Mary Poppins' Author

HATED MY GUTS!!!

11/15/2012 8:45 AM PST BY TMZ STAFF
EXCLUSIVE

111512_dick_vandyke_launch
The author who created "Mary Poppins" had a spoon full of HATRED for everyone affiliated with her movie ... this according to "Poppins" star Dick Van Dyke.

DVD -- who played Bert in the 1964 classic -- was out in Malibu yesterday ... and told us he was super-excited about Tom Hanks playing Walt Disney in an upcoming movie about the making of "Mary Poppins."

But Dick explained ... there was some MAJOR DRAMA behind the scenes, telling us author P.L. Travers -- who created the Mary Poppins children's books -- battled Disney for 20 years before begrudgingly allowing him to make the film.

"She didn't want to do it," Van Dyke says ... "She just hated the idea ... she hated Julie [Andrews] and she hated me."

In fact, Travers hated the movie so much, she put it in her will that NO AMERICANS shall ever be granted permission to work on a Poppins project ever again.

We also asked Dick if there was any truth to the urban legend that Walt's head was cryogenically frozen -- but it's clear DVD ain't buyin' the rumors.

clint

All time Hollywood class act.

Cheryl A.

LOVE LOVE LOVE Dick Van Dyke!!!!

86 years old but doesn't act a day older then 50 and sounds EXACTLY the same as he did on the Dick Van Dyke show!!!!

Simone

Dick Van Dyke is up there with Tom Hanks in his irresistible likableness. And Mary Poppins is such a beloved classic - what human in her right mind couldn't like DVD and Julie Andrews?!

IceGypsy

I loved watching him in just about anything when I was a kid. Such a great man.

MrHarrybawls2010

I was excited hearing there would be a movie about Walt Disney.......... until I heard that Tom Hanks (of all people) would be playing him. =( I haven't felt this disappointed since george w. bush "won" a second term in office.

jdub

I wish that hip hop group from X Factor knew the Mary Poppins gig is a no-no for Americans. We could've saved millions from hearing their horrendous version of "Supercalifragilisticexpialidocious".

KnuckleDragger

I think writers should just write, period. I read the credits of any film I watch. I've found that when the credits show that the writer is the producer, or the producer is the director, or the director is the star, blah, blah, ad nauseam...the movie sucks, e.g. Eddie Murphy and Martin Lawrence movies.

MrHarrybawls2010

I enjoyed this film, but even as a child I couldn't help but think Philip Seymour Hoffman would have done a better job than Dick had in the role of Bert.

harleyharlett

i just love him!! he is amazing at 86!!

DaveT

Gonna miss Dick Van Dyke when he's gone, not many like him around

Salim

spoon full of sugar.

Jay W.

Read some of the biography about P. L. Travers (born Helen Goff). She was a giant POS!

M.

Great interview! Who knew you had it in ya? ;) 86 and looking good, hope I am out getting my own groceries and driving at that age. Again, great to see him!

Mallory

That's pretty selfish of PL Travers.....Mary Poppins is my most favorite childhood movie. I still watch it once in a while. It brought a lot of joy to many.

RD

Sounds like an hag that thought they wrote something that no one else could better. What a hack.

| 1 | 2 | Most Recent | Next 15 Comments