Randy Couture

My Manager Cheated Death

In Freak BMW Explosion

11/16/2012 3:15 AM PST BY TMZ STAFF
EXCLUSIVE

111512_bmw_fire_launch_v3
UFC legend Randy Couture is thanking his lucky stars -- because his manager narrowly dodged a gruesome death this month in L.A. ... when his BMW spontaneously burst into flames .... and TMZ has video of the fiery inferno.

Randy's manager Sam Spira tells TMZ, he was driving to a friend's house several days ago when "without any warning, my BMW X6M burst into flames, exploded and was completely totaled."

Sam says, "I can best describe the event as a very loud bang while going about 10 miles an hour -- there was a speed bump that I slowed down for -- followed by an immediate giant engine malfunction light and flames coming out from the front and under the car."

And if that wasn't scary enough, Sam says his young daughter was in the passenger seat -- and the passenger door wouldn't open. So Sam had to grab his daughter and pull her out the driver's side, burning himself in the process.

Seconds later, Sam says the car exploded and was immediately engulfed in flames. Spira adds, "Had we been traveling on the freeway, we would probably all be dead."

Firefighters arrived to the scene moments later to extinguish the blaze.

1115_the_aftermath_car
To make matters worse, Spira says his BMW dealership has not yet inspected the car to determine why the engine exploded -- and the BMW corporation is ignoring his phone calls. Spira tells us, he plans to sue if the company doesn't do something soon.

Randy Couture tells TMZ, “I was really shocked to see the pictures and video of my manager’s bad-ass BMW X6M on fire and exploding – a BMW that I drove in many many times.  I am just glad that he and his children got out alive.”

We repeatedly reached out to BMW for comment. No word back.

R

De Niro in Casino

northern gypsy

ummm...generally speaking the "beamers" are a quality car...will be interesting to see what developments unfold...ps...thank goodness they weren't on the highway...

Caliwestsidegirl

This is the REASON why I don't like BMWs... They are rad-hot looking cars, yes, especially the new models but NO thanks... I hear all time they have mechanical problems and it's cost way more to fix it.

loydster

Randy who?

Tanzaboy1990

Wow god is good :)

Nostraldumass

Im sure its not BMW's fault. Thats why you shouldnt be a titewad with your expensive cars, dont go to the jibbylube, take it to BMW. Or maybe it was an after market stereo

Rich

A Mercedes burned up a driver driving in Tucson, AZ last week. So I guess it does happen.

alexis

umm, BMW......hmmmm - how about a "MOB" hit? The last I checked that is pretty much why your car implodes in a ball of flames! LOL. I can't believe no one inspected the car for a bomb in the engine?........just assumed it's BMW's fault? Weird no?

K

Latest info: A Group of BMW engineers found traces of TNT under the X6Ms head gasket!

Shady H