Carol Burnett Sued

FROM THE GRAVE ...

Over Home Video Deal

11/21/2012 5:40 PM PST BY TMZ STAFF
EXCLUSIVE

1121_carol_burnett_article_gettyFor once, someone's NOT laughing at "The Carol Burnett Show" -- namely the guy who helped create the TV classic, and is now suing over a home video deal, but the catch is ... HE'S DEAD.

The lawsuit was filed Wednesday in LA County Superior Court by Bob Banner's production company ... and according to the docs Bob had a partnership to co-produce the show with Carol from 1967 to 1972.

Bob died in 2011 from Parkinson's disease ... but according to the lawsuit Burnett and Time Life struck a home video distribution deal in the summer of 2012. The suit alleges Bob  -- or rather, his company -- was cut out of the profits from that deal.

Banner's company is demanding a full accounting of all profits earned from the 'Carol Burnett Show' -- including the home video deal ... and, of course, wants its cut.

We reached out to Carol's people, but haven't heard back.

Mark Vinette

I have decided and advised my attorney that I have several entities who I wish to sue but have also instructed him to start proceedings after my death with my ashes in a diamond encrusted urn present at all times. So those of you who have crossed me better watch out.

liquidbabydoll

she was great in Horton hears a who

kp22kc

If the Banner company co-produced the show between '67-'72, I believe they are out of luck, because the shows that were sold were after '72. Carol herself doesn't hold any rights to the pre '72 shows. This is exactly why we can't have the entire series on DVD, because people are so money hungry. People saying "I demand my cut!" and the music industry not allowing their songs to be used without being paid again. Several shows on the Time/Life set have been edited because of music rights. One episode that had guest Sammy Davis Jr has the whole musical finale cut off because of music rights. It is only 40 minutes or so long while most episodes are 50 -52 minutes long. I think if the music industry let them use their songs once that should be it. I'm sure they got paid when it first aired. Very unfair to us, the home video viewing public, to not be able to see most of these shows anymore. They've never aired again since going off the air so there aren't even any bootlegs (which I don't condone anyway.) So we have to be happy with the smattering of episodes we do have.

119ENG

Great Show!!! Hope they do the right thing :)

dd

Has nothing to do with her, she is not responsible for his business affairs.

zaniroberts

I love Carol Burnett, but i have to say... this changes her in my eyes.
I am so disappointed that she wouldn't take care of the people who took care of her for all those years.
It's just so sad that this has to be a big publicized lawsuit.
I think she should just do the honorable thing and pay the Banner people what they are owed... She's too great to have all that bad karma!

mskandie1013

WHAT THE HELL WILL THEY THINK OF NEXT ?

jopalomarez

The hardest laughs i ever had in my life was the Carol Burnett show. Love all of you Carol, hope you can resolve this madness and find peace. When you see Tim, give him a hug and kiss for me, He is my FAVORITE. I love him!

Mesadabree

Love her!!!

Mesadabree

The company can only sue for profits from the years he was in contract, Time/Life should have checked all past contracts

David

Wow.. I am sorry.. no. The fact that the "estate of a dead person" can follow through with a law suit that is not over legit damages to said deceased is another example of what is wrong in the state of California.

karlew

Perhaps the shows involved were the ones from 73 to 78 and this guy never deserved a share in the profits

Uh

Time-Life? Are you kidding?

Mark

Well, none of the episodes from the Time-Life set are from the Bob Banner years (1967-72).

Previous 15 Comments | 1 | 2