Chevy Chase

I'm Leaving 'Community'

... But I Wasn't Fired!

11/21/2012 2:50 PM PST BY TMZ STAFF
breaking news

1121_chevy_chase_community_article_getty
Chevy Chase's "Community" college days are OVER ... the actor has struck a deal to leave the NBC sitcom ... effective immediately.

According to The Hollywood Reporter, Chase didn't quit ... nor was he fired ... but it was a "mutual decision" between the actor and producers.

FYI -- producers have already shot the majority of the upcoming season ... and Chase will remain in those episodes. It's unclear if Chase's exit will be explained on the show ... or if it will simply go on as if Pierce Hawthorne never existed.

The move comes as no surprise -- Chase has been very critical of the show ... and famously left a nasty voicemail for creator Dan Harmon ... basically telling him that he sucks.

Whatintheworld!?

I imagined Chase as a huge, pompous anchor attached to the back bumper of a Smart Car (Community cast). They couldn't get anywhere with him dragging the show down. With him out, I hope the talented cast can breathe much easier, spread their wings, and really soar to greater heights. I wish them the best!

Franc

Thank God, now it's safe to watch. No way would I give that nasty cretin a half hour of my life.

John

Good for him!

John

Sounds like a bunch of fuzz nutz kids have no idea how much of a guy Chevy really is.... He is a very funny man who has been a writer in a lot of stuff...

Modern Problems was funny as hell....

Metta Worldhate

I think they should make his character say the N-Word and get expelled for it. That's how I'd write him out.

Jay

Good for him. That show was so good when it started and the last two seasons have been so crap I'm not going to bother watching the new season.

He is absolutely right for wanting to leave. He is an extremely talented comedian and the writers /producers of that show that are driving it into the ground are making him and the rest of the cast look stupid.

Anyone that disagrees should watch season 1 and then try to watch an episode from last season.

may28

Doesn't suprise me Chevy has always had a diva attitude, even in the SNL days. Let's hope he stays away from tv. How bout making a thanksgiving or Easter national lampoon?

Ckl

So Chevy Chase did a Charlie Sheen?

BOHOE

They're going in a new direction. He's been replaced by Cecil Singleton .... they'll be lots of dry humping

just because

they should have fired him when he said n word.....what is this national lampoon amusement park

Realist

So let me get this straight......because his character was being written so offensively, he complained. That complaint makes him an a$$hole? Is Dave Chapelle an a$$hole? He quit for the same reasons, racism. The character of Pierce Hawthorne started out like a relic from an older time, where the racism was sort of thinly veiled. By this season, I'm surprised he wasn't screaming the N word for no reason. And because he has some sort of decency and morals, this makes him the devil to most of you? LOL idiots. You're probably the same morons that cry racism any time someone says something negative about Obama.

Vernon P. Alarcon

3. Cornelius Crane has been irrelevant and not funny for decades ........and so is Community. A Dark Screen or Dead Air would be much better.

Metta Worldhate

Streets ahead.

Tony C

I love the show but I can't stand him. Win/win for me :)

Michelle

I am so sick of hearing about Chase going on and on about leaving Community. Go! No one is going to miss you and your ego.

Previous 15 Comments | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | Most Recent | Next 15 Comments