'Dallas' Star Larry Hagman

Dead at 81

11/24/2012 5:10 AM PST BY TMZ STAFF
breaking news

1123_larry-hagman
Actor Larry Hagman -- best known as the conniving J.R. Ewing on "Dallas" -- has died at age 81.

Hagman died in a Dallas hospital at 4:20 pm Friday, due to complications from a recent battle with cancer ... according to local reports.

The actor's family released a statement shortly afterwards, saying "He was surrounded by loved ones when he passed. It was a peaceful passing, just as he had wished for."

Hagman also starred in "I Dream of Jeannie" but was most famous for playing the iconic villain J.R. in the 1980's drama "Dallas" -- and recently reprised the same role on the TNT version ... which launched earlier this year (below).

He is survived by his two children.

Ernesto

Very sad. Jim Davis who played Jock was stolen too soon in the original series when he died. How sadly ironic for Larry's passing with the highly anticipated new Dallas coming into its second season on TNT. My thoughts are with his devoted Dallas cast members and crew, and of course his family. I am very sad tonight.

EBL

I liked his work. RIP Larry. Thanks.

Phil

I have never been so sad over a celebrity passing. Larry was iconic and underrated as an actor. Yes, RIP, sir.

dd

Tears!

jenny ruby

Dont look at me mr car crash
shame on you
I dont feel guilty
But you should

Caliwestsidegirl

I remember him from "I Dream of Jeannie" and Dick York of "Bewitched" Love these guys... RIP!!!

TheTruthIs

One of our legendary actors. He will be missed.

Jodi

Wow...he was THE villain back in the days of the original Dallas and was getting ready to take that infamous honor again in the remake of Dallas. He will be missed.

I hope this does not mean the end of the of the new Dallas.

Hohan

Guess they ran out of livers.

patsfan4life

Oh man :( I'm 21 and just started watching the new revamped Dallas, I could see how Mr. Hagman popularized JR so easily. The show won't be the same without him RIP.

patsfan4life

Drago

I'm shocked to hear this. He was a great TV character. God may rest your soul in peace Larry!

Throwback kid

He now joins Dr Bellows in heaven. RIP Major Tony Nelson

Truth

TBH THE 2ND DALLAS WAS BETTER WRITTEN AND ACTED THAN THE 1ST DALLAS. RIP BRO... CELEB DEATHS OCCURS IN 3'S. WONDER WHO'S NEXT? LINDSAY LOHAN?? OCTOMOM??? IF THERE WAS A GOD... #TRUTH!!

Irish

In addition to his wife, Mr. Hagman is survived by a daughter, Kristina Hagman; a son, Preston Hagman; and five granddaughters.