'Dallas' Star Larry Hagman

Dead at 81

11/24/2012 5:10 AM PST BY TMZ STAFF
breaking news

1123_larry-hagman
Actor Larry Hagman -- best known as the conniving J.R. Ewing on "Dallas" -- has died at age 81.

Hagman died in a Dallas hospital at 4:20 pm Friday, due to complications from a recent battle with cancer ... according to local reports.

The actor's family released a statement shortly afterwards, saying "He was surrounded by loved ones when he passed. It was a peaceful passing, just as he had wished for."

Hagman also starred in "I Dream of Jeannie" but was most famous for playing the iconic villain J.R. in the 1980's drama "Dallas" -- and recently reprised the same role on the TNT version ... which launched earlier this year (below).

He is survived by his two children.

dale12

Godspeed Larry, tell Miss Ellie hello.

nyer566

I am saddened to hear of Larry's passing. R.I.P. J.R. Gods speed. He was one heck of an actor and will be missed.

3monkeys

Thx for saving Jeannie

ViableV

RIP Larry, and thank you so much for all the years of great entertainment you've provided all of us.

Farewell my friend

Steevo

Sorry for the type-o but these IPads are non-forgiving

Santasunsetwoodica

Who shot JR? Classic! RiP!

Theresa

RIP JR Ewing, thanks for the memories

Bridget

That's sad. "Dallas" was on when I was really little so I don't remember much about it except my mom got me to be quiet when it was on by telling me that J.R's mom in real life is the woman who played Peter Pan. For some reason, that I don't remember, I found that fascinating and it made J.R. my favorite.

Larry Hagman was great in "Primary Colors" too.

RIP Mr. Hagman.

the_truth_hurts

BURN IN HELL YOU WORTHLESS DRUNK! you got organ transplants and still drank..good people die every hour of everyday waiting for the gifts you threw away...id piss on your grave but you are not even worth that

blackwidow42

Thank you for always staying true to your fans and family Mr. Hagman. Tip your hat from above the clouds and rest in peace.

blackwidow42

Celeb Gossip Addict

R.I.P. Larry. You will be missed. What a career.

Leslie

I know he hasn't really been well for years, but this one still shocked me. I grew up with "I Dream of Jeanie," so he'll always be Major Nelson to me. RIP Larry.

Joan K

All the real stars who had any talent are leaving us too soon, I hate to hear that he is gone too RIP, Mr. Hagman

Glenda

He was also survived by his wife TMZ of some 58 years.
RIP Larry aka J.R.