'Dallas' Star Larry Hagman

Dead at 81

11/24/2012 5:10 AM PST BY TMZ STAFF
breaking news

1123_larry-hagman
Actor Larry Hagman -- best known as the conniving J.R. Ewing on "Dallas" -- has died at age 81.

Hagman died in a Dallas hospital at 4:20 pm Friday, due to complications from a recent battle with cancer ... according to local reports.

The actor's family released a statement shortly afterwards, saying "He was surrounded by loved ones when he passed. It was a peaceful passing, just as he had wished for."

Hagman also starred in "I Dream of Jeannie" but was most famous for playing the iconic villain J.R. in the 1980's drama "Dallas" -- and recently reprised the same role on the TNT version ... which launched earlier this year (below).

He is survived by his two children.

Glenda

He was also survived by his wife TMZ of some 58 years.
RIP Larry aka J.R.

john johnson

r.i.p. mr hagman

Tmzfan

I watched all the episodes of the re-boot Dallas and was shocked at how well he still rocked that part at his age. He will be missed.

James B

I adored him, especially as JR Ewing. I'm very sad indeed to hear this news. Love & condolences to his family. I hope they know just how many total strangers loved & respected their Pa. He was a legend!

mercury

Rest in Peace Larry. My condolences go out to his family.

Meanie

I remember him with is little air fan - hated smokers, he did. RIP.

JB

Big fan of his work & envious of his co-starring with Barbara Eden. But, in addition to this, his name always brings to mind a great Johnny Carson punch line in which Carson references some benevolant event . "In honor of the occasion, Larry Hagman turned down his electric fence to simmer."

chelsey

So sad. Larry was an ACTOR. JR will always be remembered as the best character ever!

Wallpapersmyth

Rest In Peace

Steevo

I remember the first time I watched "Dallas" on TV, I was immediately hooked. Larry Hagman will always be remembered. I can't think of anyone that coupled have played his role any better.
Steevo

Nooo she didint

I loved him from the first time a saw him. The second time I saw him I was, albeit very young, oddly attracted to him still. His death has hit me hard. And the new Dallas is now done. Love to his family and to Duffy and Gray, who I know as a fan that they are grieving too

sad

Thank You Larry for keeping us entertained. There was nobody better at playing the best bad guy. You just had love him. Sad day

Cat19

Rest in Peace Mr. Hagman. Condolences to the Hagman family.

Liz

TMZ!!! He is also survived by his wife, Maj. She is still living.

Dave

Shocking... No really. They caught him in Mslibu just a few months ago.