Jazz Legend Dave Brubeck

Dead at 91

12/5/2012 8:00 AM PST BY TMZ STAFF
breaking news

1204_dave_brubeck
Famed jazz pianist Dave Brubeck -- the man behind the famous song "Take Five" -- has died.

Brubeck's manager said the music icon passed away in Connecticut this morning due to heart failure, while on his way to a cardiology appointment. He was 91.

His birthday is tomorrow.

Brubeck was a living legend -- having written several jazz staples like "In Your Own Sweet Way," "Blue Rondo à la Turk," and "The Duke." The Dave Brubeck quartet recorded "Take Five" all the way back in 1959.

In 1954, Brubeck was the first modern jazz musician to be featured on the cover of Time magazine.

Brubeck is survived by his wife, four sons, a daughter, grandsons and a great granddaughter.

The Pipe

Stop talking over eacn other all the Dam Time.

Good riddance!

I grew up listening to my parents playing his music a lot growing up and I am seriously bummed I never had a chance to see him perform. He was one of the few people I would have probably flown somewhere moderately far away to see play. He lived an incredibly full and talented life and his music influenced a ton of people, so that's how I will always think of him.

pat

The band in Heaven just got better.

R.I.P. Mr. B.

If sense were common everyone would have it.

Man he made some great music. Rest in melody.

Vinny

RIP Dave Brubeck....one of my fav jazz musicians.

DR SICK

He was a true classic and will be missed.

Denver

Paul Desmond was the man behind "Take Five". He was the composer and played the alo sax. RIP to both...

Rich

Rest in peace Dave. An old man who loved your music.

Rich

One wonders....will ANY of these RAP CRAPPER be remembered even 20 years from now. The answer is simple...NO. They have no talent. Only the talented live on with their music.

Bonnie

Deepest sympathy to family and friends. Dave Brubeck was great! Take Five truly a classic.....to me it's "Manhattan" takes you back to a time and place, absolutely like no other!

George

I saw Dave Brubeck at my college when I was 20 years old. I said to him, "Play on Uncle Dave". He turned and looked at me with a look like "Thanks alot I'm not THAT old". Then he smiled at me and went into playing "Take Five". Gerry Mulligan was there too. I never forgot that moment. I'm 62 now. RIP, Dave, you entertained young and old!

SeeSomethingSaySomething

What? No!! I was just on iTunes two days ago looking for Brubeck classics that remind me of my grandpa. RIP, Dave!

NoBozo

This man was a cultural treasure. Our nation has lost a great musician. Thank you, Mr. Brubeck. RIP.

Previous 15 Comments | 1 | 2