'Lincoln' Star

On Daniel Day-Lewis

'You Could Only Address Him as Mr. President'

12/6/2012 9:04 AM PST BY TMZ STAFF
EXCLUSIVE

120612_lucas_haas_launch
Daniel Day-Lewis NEVER broke character during the 3 months he filmed "Lincoln" ... and took the role so seriously, he had everyone on set address him as "Mr. President" ... this according to one of the stars of the movie.

DDL is one of the most famous method actors on the planet -- and Lukas Haas (who played one of the soldiers in the flick) tells us, Lewis was VERY intense on the set.

Haas said, "You could only address him as Mr. President. Even Spielberg [had to]."

Haas added, Daniel's "one of the best actors out there. By far. I'm not sure who you could put above him."

Agree? Disagree? Discuss.

Vicki

Agreed. Daniel is perfection and I too am hard pressed to think of anyone out there who comes close! Last of the Mohicans is divine.

Bmorecurlyguy

Hasstdoo ur a douchebag like harvey

MayhemGirl

I honestly believe there aren't too many actors today that are better than DDL. He is amazing. I would feel like an idiot calling him Mr. President if I was on the set, but I get why he is like that.

static

That movie sucks he's like Tom Hanks different costume same character in every movie he's in.

SDFGSFGD

Hahaaaaaaaa!!!!!!! Method acting doesn't make or break you as being the best actor out there.....JOHNNY DEPP IS HANDS DOWN FAR BETTER THAN DDL....LEWIS IS FULL OF HIMSELF...Johnny is simply a badass 24/7 and the greatest actor alive.....good try though DANIEL!!!!!

LOVEJAC23

I have GOT to see this movie now. The dedication, DDL's work in general. WOW! So many awesome reviews on the movie. Sounds like Oscar gold ta me!

LadyScarlett

Daniel Day-Lewis is perfection.

Benji

I was an extra on the set, and all actors were called by their characters names by Speilberg and the rest of the crew. Mr. President stayed in character whenever I saw him, but in a very respectable way. It was amazing to be a witness/small part of all of great film!

Debra

Totally miscast in "NINE". He is a fine Actor, but no one is in Streep's catagory!

Areader

Let's see, there's Meryl Streep, Robert De Niro, Al Pacino, Phillip Seymour-Hoffman, Anthony Hopkins, Denzel Washington, Sean Penn, Cate Blanchett to name a few who are as good as Daniel Day Lewis!

smurfya

I still think he should have won an Oscar for bill the butcher in gangs of new york

Theatre Doc

The method is a fraud. Day-Lewis is just being artsy-fartsy or ego centric.. Being in character for a role is something a really good actor can jump in and out of in an instant.
An actor friend and former student of mine saw Robin Williams do this repeatedly whenhe work on a film starring Williams.-+I would argue that the role was intensive, thus any actor effective in it would be intensive. The role of Lincoln in The Rivalry is more intellectual. When I played it, I did not have to be addressed as Mr President off stage. So-called "Method" actors must guard theri mental health so they can get out of character and not wind up in a mental institution running about demanding to be called Mr President.

MaryMRevis

So he's a method actor...so what? By all accounts he gave a damn good portrayal and the movie was decent critically and commercially. Well done to Mr. Lewis, Mr. Spielberg, Ms. Fields, the cast and crew of the film.

John F. C. Taylor

Actors of today only? Has to be. No where near such past greats as Humphrey Bogart or Clark Gable.

YouMakeMeFeelGood

Vincent d'onofrio is a VERY excellent actor...man!!

Previous 15 Comments | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | Most Recent | Next 15 Comments