PSY

'Deeply Sorry' for Singing

About Killing Americans

12/7/2012 2:20 PM PST BY TMZ STAFF
breaking news

1207_psy_01

PSY -- the pop singer behind the hit "Gangnam Style" -- says he "will forever be sorry" for performing a song in 2004 that called for the killing of "Yankees" ... and is begging for Americans to accept his apology.

The song in question was called, "Dear Americans" ... and featured the lyrics, "Kill those f*cking Yankees who have been torturing Iraqi captives."

He continues, "Kill those f---ing Yankees who ordered them to torture ... Kill their daughters, mothers, daughters-in-law and fathers ... Kill them all slowly and painfully.”

Now, PSY has released a statement explaining, "The song I featured on in question from eight years ago -- was part of a deeply emotional reaction to the war in Iraq and the killing of two Korean schoolgirls that was part of the overall antiwar sentiment shared by others around the world at that time.  While I’m grateful for the freedom to express one's self, I’ve learned there are limits to what language is appropriate and I’m deeply sorry for how these lyrics could be interpreted. I will forever be sorry for any pain I have caused by those words."

He continues, "While it’s important that we express our opinions, I deeply regret the inflammatory and inappropriate language I used to do so. In my music, I try to give people a release, a reason to smile. I have learned that thru music, our universal language we can all come together as a culture of humanity and I hope that you will accept my apology."

Read the whole statement after the jump ...

PSY'S STATEMENT:

"As a proud South Korean who was educated in the United States and lived there for a very significant part of my life, I understand the sacrifices American servicemen and women have made to protect freedom and democracy in my country and around the world. The song I featured on in question from eight years ago -- was part of a deeply emotional reaction to the war in Iraq and the killing of two Korean schoolgirls that was part of the overall antiwar sentiment shared by others around the world at that time.  While I’m grateful for the freedom to express one's self, I’ve learned there are limits to what language is appropriate and I’m deeply sorry for how these lyrics could be interpreted. I will forever be sorry for any pain I have caused by those words.

I have been honored to perform in front of American soldiers in recent months -- including an appearance on the Jay Leno show specifically for them -- and I hope they and all Americans can accept my apology. While it’s important that we express our opinions, I deeply regret the inflammatory and inappropriate language I used to do so. In my music, I try to give people a release, a reason to smile. I have learned that thru music, our universal language we can all come together as a culture of humanity and I hope that you will accept my apology."

Previous 15 Comments | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19

Jon

Why are you people blowing up. He was pissed about 2 Korean girls being raped and killed by American soldiers based in Korea. If a Korean soldier killed someone over here, Americans would probably carpet bomb the daylights out of Korea. And say we are "Liberating" them. Yeah sure. Liberating them from living. I live in america and I say our country is dead because of overpatriotism. People only throw hate without asking where it should really go. Kiss my ass all of you making hate toward Psy.

PeterMan

It is so useless reading these comments, and trying to make people realize they are being hypocritical and racist to a man who was speaking his mind. If we don't let people speak their mind, then everyone else has the right shut their mouths. I'm sick and tired of having to see these hateful comments and seeing us Americans tear at each other, just leave Psy alone everyone makes mistakes. When you make a mistake do you get plunged into the middle of a verbal war, be considerate of his feelings. I'm done with this, how about you?

Mr. Card

In his apology, he mentioned about the freedom of speech. Well, he and many Koreans have forgot WHO fought hard and spilled blood to keep that "FREEDOM" for them. Korean War took place only some 60 years ago, not centuries. Something is missing in education in their country.

G-Dog

We should remove troops from south Korea. Then the north will invade and this piece of $hit will be reeducated in a work camp.

Bry

That first line wasnt so bad but the second was a no go

nottelling

Yet what I fail to understand is that he gets hate for saying what he said while we have Toby Keith and other american artists can basically say the same damn thing toward other countries yet in our eyes we do nothing wrong? Talk about horrible double standards…

izz

its like justin beiber saying kill all black people, and throw them back to africa... then forgiving him

its like kim kardashian saying, white people just try hard to be armenian, they can take their white trailer trash ass down to the ghetto... then forgiving her

psy

i wrote the song and **** you amcercins... goto hell!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :)

Msta

So... He's onlY sorry for the language he used. His music should be blocked by iTunes and others. This man deserves no more USD!!!

pdubya

He should change his name from PSY to POS. My father fought in the Korean War protecting his sorry @ss from Pyongyang's control. A lot of Americans died protecting South Koreans and giving them freedom. In the eight years since that song, they haven't forgotten what he said... because of his influence, they've taught their children those same sentiments. He has bred hatred toward Americans. They are free and they show us nothing but disrespect. I only hope I have the chance to get at this bastard some day. I'll show him some American style. I will do everything I can to take him and his country down. And to think I was going to buy my daughter a Kia Optima. No f'ing way. He has done more harm than he can imagine. He can go F himself and his country!

Dani

Of course he's apologizing, he's making a ****load of money off us 'Yankees' and will continue to. If he was still in Korea and not making much money, I would bet my first-born child that he'd back up that song and still sing it. But since he's making money off us Damn Yankees (miss the Damn Yankees!!) then damn right he'll pretend to be apologetic.

Marlon

Don't buy his music. **** the Gook.

Marlon

Koreans are the most racist people. Boycott. Don't buy their ****.

Previous 15 Comments | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19