PSY

'Deeply Sorry' for Singing

About Killing Americans

12/7/2012 2:20 PM PST BY TMZ STAFF
breaking news

1207_psy_01

PSY -- the pop singer behind the hit "Gangnam Style" -- says he "will forever be sorry" for performing a song in 2004 that called for the killing of "Yankees" ... and is begging for Americans to accept his apology.

The song in question was called, "Dear Americans" ... and featured the lyrics, "Kill those f*cking Yankees who have been torturing Iraqi captives."

He continues, "Kill those f---ing Yankees who ordered them to torture ... Kill their daughters, mothers, daughters-in-law and fathers ... Kill them all slowly and painfully.”

Now, PSY has released a statement explaining, "The song I featured on in question from eight years ago -- was part of a deeply emotional reaction to the war in Iraq and the killing of two Korean schoolgirls that was part of the overall antiwar sentiment shared by others around the world at that time.  While I’m grateful for the freedom to express one's self, I’ve learned there are limits to what language is appropriate and I’m deeply sorry for how these lyrics could be interpreted. I will forever be sorry for any pain I have caused by those words."

He continues, "While it’s important that we express our opinions, I deeply regret the inflammatory and inappropriate language I used to do so. In my music, I try to give people a release, a reason to smile. I have learned that thru music, our universal language we can all come together as a culture of humanity and I hope that you will accept my apology."

Read the whole statement after the jump ...

PSY'S STATEMENT:

"As a proud South Korean who was educated in the United States and lived there for a very significant part of my life, I understand the sacrifices American servicemen and women have made to protect freedom and democracy in my country and around the world. The song I featured on in question from eight years ago -- was part of a deeply emotional reaction to the war in Iraq and the killing of two Korean schoolgirls that was part of the overall antiwar sentiment shared by others around the world at that time.  While I’m grateful for the freedom to express one's self, I’ve learned there are limits to what language is appropriate and I’m deeply sorry for how these lyrics could be interpreted. I will forever be sorry for any pain I have caused by those words.

I have been honored to perform in front of American soldiers in recent months -- including an appearance on the Jay Leno show specifically for them -- and I hope they and all Americans can accept my apology. While it’s important that we express our opinions, I deeply regret the inflammatory and inappropriate language I used to do so. In my music, I try to give people a release, a reason to smile. I have learned that thru music, our universal language we can all come together as a culture of humanity and I hope that you will accept my apology."

bboy

your 15 minutes are up

mouse

He just stuck it to all the dumb americans that bought his songs.

Marge

No-one should ever forgive Cheney and Bush for 9/11 and their fake 'war on terror.'

vimNvigor

it's so funny how everyone is outraged at something that happened 8 years ago, where no one in the US understands how outraged South Koreans were over the death of 2 teenage girls, where A US TANK RAN OVER 2 INNOCENT GIRLS IN THE STREETS.

WHO CARES if he was featured in some song about killing yankees? chris brown beats on rihanna and he's still making music, dressing up like al qaeda on halloween, and yet this guy expressing a political view (mind you violently and uncalled for) and now the public can't forgive him.

check yo facts before you get all into some hype over pop culture. if you had known about this **** before, would you have been doing his stupid ass dance? check it, do you even know what the **** his song is about?

Mr. Clean

14:59...

RiceLover

What's the difference? Today is the 71st anniversary of the Pearl Harbor attack and there are "Americans" on twitter saying we should kill all of those "Japs" There are Palestinians saying all the Jews should die because of the attacks. People say things when they are upset, especially over killings. Americans say the Islamics should die for 911. I see nothing different about this.

aaaa1

Stupid people always want to famous by singing or talking **** about american because they dont think they will make big without it. Hope he and other will learn from his mistake

ABB

This TALENTLESS nobody is sorry he got caught. He knows his crappy song will make him the most money from those Yankees he sung about killing.

MooCow

Say what you mean, mean what you say. And I sincerely mean this Psy: F*#! you. Stay in South Korea and pray to God that the Americans are there if the North ever decides to lob a few nukes and come streaming across the DMZ. Cuz without American troops, your country wouldn't last a day.

december

-.- PSY i'm just getting sick of you.
I've been a fan of him for a while, and PSY NEVER regrets the songs he makes he is the type of person who sticks by what him and his co writers and producers make, even when the song came out he stood by it.
If PSY regreted what he made he would have never took the time to make the song,put it on his album and released it.
There's one thing a person can never go back on and that's singing about murdering an entire group.
I'm more pissed of at the fact that he is apologizing just because of his popularity in the states to save his ass, it's just despicable.
It's funny how PSY said himself that Asian singers are trying to act too American, when he can't even stand back for his own music, and is changing his image and his future music to suit the US.
I was happy in the beginning but I wish that PSY was never the performer that went viral in the state's, I'd rather see Girl's Generation or Big Bang than him any day...

chris

Yea quick apologize fast now that you have a hit song over here. I highly doubt you would be saying sorry if you did not end up with a huge hit.

poopdolla

Well i mean thats what americans do right? Native Americans, Vietnamese, Middle Easterners...just to name a few

troy

no lie, as a black person who has been around every group of people in my life including people in my family, i can say that asian people are the most racist, anti anybody who ain't not just asian but their ethnic group i have ever met. they have a very close knit and hostile culture toward anyone who is different from them even if its chinese vs korean, etc. see this link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cxPGnWiLFfo

Trecee

Never heard him or seen his video. I'm glad I didn't and never will.

Jordan

Amazing how fast the appology comes out now that he is making money in America?