PSY

'Deeply Sorry' for Singing

About Killing Americans

12/7/2012 2:20 PM PST BY TMZ STAFF
breaking news

1207_psy_01

PSY -- the pop singer behind the hit "Gangnam Style" -- says he "will forever be sorry" for performing a song in 2004 that called for the killing of "Yankees" ... and is begging for Americans to accept his apology.

The song in question was called, "Dear Americans" ... and featured the lyrics, "Kill those f*cking Yankees who have been torturing Iraqi captives."

He continues, "Kill those f---ing Yankees who ordered them to torture ... Kill their daughters, mothers, daughters-in-law and fathers ... Kill them all slowly and painfully.”

Now, PSY has released a statement explaining, "The song I featured on in question from eight years ago -- was part of a deeply emotional reaction to the war in Iraq and the killing of two Korean schoolgirls that was part of the overall antiwar sentiment shared by others around the world at that time.  While I’m grateful for the freedom to express one's self, I’ve learned there are limits to what language is appropriate and I’m deeply sorry for how these lyrics could be interpreted. I will forever be sorry for any pain I have caused by those words."

He continues, "While it’s important that we express our opinions, I deeply regret the inflammatory and inappropriate language I used to do so. In my music, I try to give people a release, a reason to smile. I have learned that thru music, our universal language we can all come together as a culture of humanity and I hope that you will accept my apology."

Read the whole statement after the jump ...

PSY'S STATEMENT:

"As a proud South Korean who was educated in the United States and lived there for a very significant part of my life, I understand the sacrifices American servicemen and women have made to protect freedom and democracy in my country and around the world. The song I featured on in question from eight years ago -- was part of a deeply emotional reaction to the war in Iraq and the killing of two Korean schoolgirls that was part of the overall antiwar sentiment shared by others around the world at that time.  While I’m grateful for the freedom to express one's self, I’ve learned there are limits to what language is appropriate and I’m deeply sorry for how these lyrics could be interpreted. I will forever be sorry for any pain I have caused by those words.

I have been honored to perform in front of American soldiers in recent months -- including an appearance on the Jay Leno show specifically for them -- and I hope they and all Americans can accept my apology. While it’s important that we express our opinions, I deeply regret the inflammatory and inappropriate language I used to do so. In my music, I try to give people a release, a reason to smile. I have learned that thru music, our universal language we can all come together as a culture of humanity and I hope that you will accept my apology."

Carl

Murica!

Michael

I wonder why Madonna or any other big artist that embraced this dude in the past year actually had anyone do a background check on him. THIS is not cool at all and your one hit wonder status is now been lessened to -0. This is something that your big "apology" won't save you. Good luck back in Korea PSY. I am super tired of hearing your song (as most of America) and I hope you die off with all of the other One-Hit Wonders SOON. Now if we can just get rid of GOYTE along with you sooner...THAT would be a GREAT DAY!!

Phreaky

*reads statement* OHHH, that wasn't written by a publicist AT ALL!
Screw him

nature30

who?

Ronni

Forgive him? How about AGREE with him! Not everyone is a war mongerer like our military is.

Soboojie420

Bull****. They're only sorry they got caught. DONE!

Rocko

Really f**ked up thing to say. "Kill their daughters, mothers..." WHAT THE HE** did I ever do to YOU or Korea?? I knew there was a reason I never wanted to listen to that song. Love how MONEY changes their tune...

andrew

Another situation where a foreigner hates us, until we give them our money.. then their tune changes..Kinda like what half of the world does to us.... Oh well first world problems.

Rocko

And by the way, if an America had said the same thing he said about ANY other country, EVERYONE worldwide would be flipping a sh*t and jumping on the "bash America" bandwagon. F*ck off.

barcham

I'll forgive him for that but not for Gangnam Style.

Parker

please forgive....while i make the yankee dollars...go back to korea you phkn eggroll!

Ettawen

Oh please, everyone is condemning him over a song that wasn't even his own. We have sleazy celebrities who have done worse then PSY. The only reason people are getting so upset is because he's not American.

kitnplayn

First of all, Americans are not a highly forgiving people. Secondly, Psy is only apologizing because he is marketing his career in the U.S.A. He did not expose himself. The media exposed him. He also did not reveal his involvement in anti-American protests that called for the beheading of U.S.A. troops either.
*****
“Kill those ****ing Yankees who have been torturing Iraqi captives
Kill those ****ing Yankees who ordered them to torture
Kill their daughters, mothers, daughters-in-law and fathers
Kill them all slowly and painfully” - PSY
*****

charles

hate speech. Learn to recognize it.

Amy

I heard gangnum style on the radio today, and I can't believe anyone likes this crap. Hope to never hear any of his crappy "music" again. I hope Americans don't buy anything from him after reading about this!