PSY

'Deeply Sorry' for Singing

About Killing Americans

12/7/2012 2:20 PM PST BY TMZ STAFF
breaking news

1207_psy_01

PSY -- the pop singer behind the hit "Gangnam Style" -- says he "will forever be sorry" for performing a song in 2004 that called for the killing of "Yankees" ... and is begging for Americans to accept his apology.

The song in question was called, "Dear Americans" ... and featured the lyrics, "Kill those f*cking Yankees who have been torturing Iraqi captives."

He continues, "Kill those f---ing Yankees who ordered them to torture ... Kill their daughters, mothers, daughters-in-law and fathers ... Kill them all slowly and painfully.”

Now, PSY has released a statement explaining, "The song I featured on in question from eight years ago -- was part of a deeply emotional reaction to the war in Iraq and the killing of two Korean schoolgirls that was part of the overall antiwar sentiment shared by others around the world at that time.  While I’m grateful for the freedom to express one's self, I’ve learned there are limits to what language is appropriate and I’m deeply sorry for how these lyrics could be interpreted. I will forever be sorry for any pain I have caused by those words."

He continues, "While it’s important that we express our opinions, I deeply regret the inflammatory and inappropriate language I used to do so. In my music, I try to give people a release, a reason to smile. I have learned that thru music, our universal language we can all come together as a culture of humanity and I hope that you will accept my apology."

Read the whole statement after the jump ...

PSY'S STATEMENT:

"As a proud South Korean who was educated in the United States and lived there for a very significant part of my life, I understand the sacrifices American servicemen and women have made to protect freedom and democracy in my country and around the world. The song I featured on in question from eight years ago -- was part of a deeply emotional reaction to the war in Iraq and the killing of two Korean schoolgirls that was part of the overall antiwar sentiment shared by others around the world at that time.  While I’m grateful for the freedom to express one's self, I’ve learned there are limits to what language is appropriate and I’m deeply sorry for how these lyrics could be interpreted. I will forever be sorry for any pain I have caused by those words.

I have been honored to perform in front of American soldiers in recent months -- including an appearance on the Jay Leno show specifically for them -- and I hope they and all Americans can accept my apology. While it’s important that we express our opinions, I deeply regret the inflammatory and inappropriate language I used to do so. In my music, I try to give people a release, a reason to smile. I have learned that thru music, our universal language we can all come together as a culture of humanity and I hope that you will accept my apology."

kim

psy, you're a ****ing *****! why would you apologize for that? america has not apologized for sponsoring torture.

Shades46

This is 100% fault of the liberal media in the U.S. making such a big deal about the interrogation techniques used by the military to help save lives and gain intelligence. If it were under the Obama administration, the media would be silent. Torture has been around for hundreds and thousands of years. What the military was doing to prisoners was baby stuff compared to written history on torture.

jcp90802

There are 30,000 US troops in South Korea protecting this *******s ability to become rich and famous. North Korea would enslave and/or kill everyone in South Korea if we weren't there protecting the border.

Ali

If he puts his money where his mouth is and donates some of the gazillion dollars he's made off the song and tours with the USO and supports charities for injured soldiers and visits injured vets in country and out then, MAYBE I'll consider forgiving him. I liked him when I saw him on Ellen but now am angry and feel betrayed. He has earned MILLIONS form "F'ing Yankiees" and we're the ones that have made his song a hit. He can go fame-whore in Iraq/Iran/Yemen/Palestine etc. and see how far he gets with them. Bye-Bye Psy!

Thecoldht

Sorry now that his income is affected. I say too bad you traitor, go live in Korea!

Kaaka

I guess whats more surprising to me is how all this INFO only NOW seeing the light of day after he already have clean up somewhat on his 15 minutes ; along with his youtube video soon to crack 1 billion hits. However this will sure put the BRAKES on many endorsement over on this side of the pond that may have been going his way.

USAall the way

I love all the anti US sentiment here. Bet you're the first ones screaming for help from us when some disaster hits your country, yet you never offer aid to us during our disasters. And, learn something about geography. Don't say American, Canadians are from North America, Costa Ricans are from Central America, Brazilians are from South America, etc...
Just what America are you refering to? And, as to that idiot from South Korea, who's gonna bail your a$$ out when the North Koreans come storming down the border? Oh wait, that will be us, won't it....

Virtual Insanity

I don't support censorship.

I do support boycotting hate music. Capitalism is kinda effing awesome that way.

john

F*ck this pig.

drgnFlyWlf10

We'll uh Ya now he's sorry because he's making $$ now

Diane

Go to hell, o'talentless foreigner. All those US soldiers that died liberating your country.

HAHAHA

"How often do you hear Americans calling for genocide? How often do you hear Americans calling for the murder of women and children??" The religious comunity calls for it about 3-4 times per week in the news depending on how many pro-gay initiatives are going on in politics at the time.

Truth

THIS BITCH GOOK IS DONE!!!!! GO BACK TO K-TOWN, SOUTH KOREA. HE WAS NEVER GONNA HAVE A LONG LASTING CAREER IN THE US ANYWAY - JUST LIKE ALL THE OTHER OVERSEAS EAST ASIAN WHO TRY AND FLOP AFTER 2 YRS. BA-BYEEE!!!! #LOSER #TRUTH!!

Meggie

While it was stupid, the thing about it is, he was deeply emotional over the incident that killed the two schoolgirls. It's not like plenty of Americans didn't say hateful things about Muslims after the World Trade Center incident. I'm a deeply proud American, but I'm also aware that our actions have caused some backlash against us. We tout free speech- we can't just condemn it when we don't like what is said. Psy was successful in Korea and had a crossover hit- I don't think he was going to last long in America anyway. He's still a hero in his homeland. He made a mistake and he apologized. I find it hard to believe that everyone on here hasn't said something offensive or racist in their life. We didn't click on the Youtube video because of anything to do with America- so why are we tying America into it now? Just enjoy it for what it is- a guilty pleasure that has nothing to do with politics or world issues.

rhode

Wow. Anyone who posts a comment on this topic opens up a can of worms. I vote team neutral.