Australian DJs

'Heartbroken'

Over Nurse's Suicide

12/10/2012 5:33 AM PST BY TMZ STAFF
breaking news

1210_radio_djsMichael Christian and Mel Greig -- the two Australian radio DJs behind the Kate Middleton hospital prank call that led to the suicide of a nurse -- say they are "incredibly sorry" for what transpired ... as they speak out for the first time.

The pair sat down with "A Current Affair" in Australia and described how they found out that Jacintha Saldanha had taken her life. Michael said they got the news at the same time and Mel called it "the worst phone call I've ever had in my life."

The DJs have been off the air since the incident, which they say has weighed on them ever since. Mel explained, "There’s not a minute that goes by that we don’t think about the family and what they must be going through and the thought we might have played a part in that is discouraging ... I wanted to just to reach out to them and give them a hug and say sorry, I actually do feel sorry, I really do."

Mel's attitude toward the prank was different before Saldanha took her life ... as TMZ first reported, she posted a photo on Facebook just hours before, joking about how impersonating the Queen should help her score free drinks.

Jenn

I'm in between. The suicide itself was not a foreseeable consequence, I get that. But the prank was still low, and they deserve to lose their jobs. What was their intended outcome? To break a hospital's privacy barrier and expose private details about a woman's pregnancy? I'm sure they didn't think they'd get as far as they did, but they had to know that they'd cost somebody their job if it worked. It was a pretty shameful prank.

Bob

It amazes me how fickle you commenters on TMZ are. I bet if this nurse never killed herself you guys would all be commenting on how stupid she was for transferring the call. So don't blame the DJ's that she killed herself. At the end of the day SHE made the mistake, and SHE couldn't handle the guilt and killed herself. If she never messed up would she have committed suicide? NO! If she followed proper procedures of the company would she have committed suicide? NO! she would've been viewed as a smart woman. So please, don't just jump on the bandwagon of being empathetic towards her just because she's dead. Fake people disgust me.

Truth

WORSE ACTING JOB ON THE PLANET... ESPECIALLY THE DUDE WITH HIS FAKE HEAD TURN. STRAIGHT OUT OF SOAP OPERA ACTING 101. HEY, IS THERE A RAZZIE AWARD FOR "WORSE ON-AIR DJ INTERVIEW RESPONSE FOR KILLING A DERANGED MENTALLY UNSTABLE UK NURSE' SKIT??? JUST SAYIN... #TRUTH!!

JAYKEYZ

i dont get why she would kill herself??
and why would the fault be put on the Personel??
Someone please explain why??

There was no "Personal" information given...whats Kate Middletons View on the situation??

THE RADIO WILL BE RADIO STUPID GIVE AWAYS, FREE CASH, AND PRANK PHONE CALLS.

ITS BEEN THAT WAY AND WILL CONTINUE TO BE THAT WAY.

bigstew

I guess borat and the jerky boys should apologies as well.

S D M F

Howard Stern's penis
Baba Booey to you all!

DrDeMarzo

Oh waaaaa, they're only sorry because they lost their show. Please go put another shrimp on your stupid barbie "whilst" you cry over this.
Australia--an island of racist criminals.

Lala

I found this to be almost LAUGHABLE... are you telling me that these "DJs" have NO IDEA who their superiors/bosses/producers are??? At ANY TIME they (the DJs) could have stopped the call just by hanging up themselves... and didn't... interesting how they would deflct answering any question directly by "rerouting" their "answer" back to offering/wishing support for the victims family...

And the body language of Michael Christian was very telling... as was his EMBARRASSSING attempt to cry at mark 7:12...

I know they can be "charged" with taping the call w/o the knowledge of the other party... can they also be charged with possibly impersonation???

Sloane

the least that might have happened was the woman who put the call through would have been disciplined somehow or perhaps even fired- and that didn't give them pause to apologize
and the worst that could have happened did- and it still took a while before their "remourseful" sorry

Sloane

more like heartbroken that they may be fired and unhireable in the future if they don't do a believable enough "mea culpa"
too little too late for most of us!

ecila

I know that it was a dumb prank. But that nurse had to have some sort of emotional problem to begin with. This prank must have sent her over the edge. The DJs were stupid but not totally at fault.

loe

At first, they started strong but slowly things come out. The guy was lying, care free, he says someone filtered and were asked to act. By whom? Don't blame it to someone else, it seems to be his idea. Guys love these kind of stupid pranks. Think they are harmless yet, they never really thought about it. It is good that their show got cancelled. They should not feel that is the end of the world but should learn from this and start caring about how people feel.

Mimi

This left a sour taste in my mouth because it's clear that all they wanted to do was blame the people who edit those tapes.They took NO responsibility for what they've done. They pinned all the blame on others and kept saying over and over that it was someone else's fault. Well, I have no doubt they didn't do the call with malice and certainly didn't expect a woman to end up dead but they should have hung up when they realized they were being taken seriously. They should have said, in their stupid accents, "Oh, gotta go!" instead of sitting there and listening while a nurse divulged private information about Kate. I'm glad their show is canceled. I hope the family sues the **** out of them and the radio station. This whole thing is a tragic, terrible mess and maybe this will end these bull**** prank calls for good.

rainbow4321

I don't imagine they will be back on air with their company any time soon given that they tried to throw that same company's brass under the bus...everything in the interview was "we gave it to our team and higher ups to decide" yet they don't know WHO they talked to (sure they don't). They don't know who they talked? Guess that is their way of blame the company and not one individual. And they don't remember WHO called them to give them the news of the suicide???
They have been hidden away up til now, "protected" by their company's babysitters, I read somewhere that the sitters were trying to keep them from seeing the media coverage, that they were having medical/psych issues. Well, the Duchess was having medical issues, too, and they didn't give HER any privacy, and the nurse didn't have the LUXURY of being "protected" from seeing the media coverage or the fall out.
I hope this is career ending for both of them. Forget their "no one could have seen this happening". Same goes true for alot of committed crimes/actions...if THAT were to be used as a legit excuse, all the prisons around the world would have to release half their inmates and trials would have to be ended ("you honor, NO one could have imagined this would have happened"..OH, ok, we will drop all charges, then)

CloBird

Spare me the crocodile tears. Both the DJs and the radio station are hypocritical.