'Storage Wars'

Lawsuit Claims

Show is RIGGED

12/11/2012 10:35 AM PST BY TMZ STAFF
Exclusive Details

1211-dave-hester-tmz-complaint
"Storage Wars" -- the hit A&E show -- is deceiving viewers by making it seem contestants are bidding on unseen items, when the best goods are actually planted inside ... this according to a lawsuit obtained by TMZ.

The lawsuit -- filed by the former star, David Hester -- claims he was axed when he complained to producers about the alleged rigging practices.

Hester claims in one case producers planted a BMW mini car under a pile of trash.  In another case, Hester alleges producers planted a pile of old newspapers that announced the death of Elvis.  For some reason, that's a valuable commodity.

And Hester goes on ... claiming the show even gave less than photogenic cast members money for plastic surgery to "create more sex appeal."

Hester claims in the suit he was wrongfully terminated because he blew the whistle.

But Dan Dotson -- the guy behind the show's auction company -- disagrees, telling TMZ, every unit seen on the show is legit and has a seal on it before they open it ... making it impossible for A&E to tamper with the units before filming begins.

Dan adds, “We only sell legitimate units on Storage Wars. Every unit goes through a 64-day legal process and no one has access to units prior to auction.”

A rep for A&E tells TMZ, "We do not know about a lawsuit being filed and we do not comment on pending or threatened litigation."

NewJerseyNurse

Really TMZ you wont let me retype the name of the cha nel after you already named it? Im not saying anything vulgar! Stop cutting my comments short, cuz I thought I mistyped!!!

Shannon

I'm shocked to my very core....... Nex thing they will tell us that wrestling isn't real. Oh, the horror...

mebrat24

Isn't this like all the shows on tv, does any one think this is real? They are all fake - even HGTV was fake and I was surprised about that one but the rest. Pawn stars, basketball wives, Kim, them short people??? All fake just like all these trash websites like TMZ, RADARONLINE. They are all paid for by all these reality shows to keep them going. You think Harvey and tmz is a real news agency not paid by reality tv.

Denver

Duh. Of course it is rigged. How else can you explain when each storage locker is opened, each box with a logo is conveniently taped over. Each locker has been looked through in advance and in some cases seeded with a valuable item. But it was news to me he was booted. Good..

gr689

That guy was always a serious JERK!! prolly a borderline sociopath....the creep

Kevin

What? Fixed you say? Why I am shocked.... So you're saying that people don't actually abandon thousands of $'s worth of goods in storage lockers? I suppose the tooth fairy did not leave thos quarters under my pillow?

chasewalshsl

YUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUPPPPPPPPPP!!

brenda

It's a reality show. Everything is scripted...EVERYTHING.

Remember when TLC meant "The Learning Channel"? Remember when History was the History Channel and dealt with interesting FACT based programming?

Concerned about society

He's a dick who cares

Honey Hole

After a few episodes, I knew it was fake, along with the titties on Brandi. I'd let Dave cream all over my real titties if he wanted. He just makes me cream in those shorts.

Jerry Milton

who cares if it is "rigged"....oh, maybe the crybaby that didn't WIN the bid on the Mini Cooper. it is no secret they PAY them $10,000 each episode...so they have plenty of money to bid, and quit their whining....good riddance to Mr. Napoleon complex.

wingedmonkey

YUUUUUUUUP!!

Laura

Well that's a big "duh". They needed a lawsuit to say it was rigged?

Lucey

YUUUUUUUUUUPPPPPPPP!

Kath

This guy Dave is the classic whiner. Whether or not the show is rigged, he participated in it to make money. Awhile ago he had a mental meltdown, sold most of his business, either on a whim or because he was losing $$, IDK. You could see the pressure was getting to him and he was making stupid mistakes. I don't blame A&E for canning him. What a loser.