Nurse Suicide

Report: Hospital Criticism

May Have Triggered Suicide

12/14/2012 6:30 AM PST BY TMZ STAFF
breaking news

1214_nurse_london_hospital
The nurse in the Kate Middleton hoax may have hanged herself in part because the hospital came down on her hard ... this according to a new report.

The Daily Mail claims to have a source connected to the nurse's family, who says in one of the suicide notes the woman, Jacintha Saldanha, is critical of the hospital for the treatment she received.  The story does not flesh out whether the treatment is connected to the hoax, but it appears to be the case, given one of the other suicide notes which reportedly describes how she tried to cope with the fallout due to the prank call.

So the question ... did hospital management come down on the nurse hard?  A hospital spokesperson claims hospital management was supportive, but they are not privy to what she wrote in the notes.

As for the third note, the report claims the nurse laid out plans for her funeral.

Jenni

I don't understand why there should be some expectation that the hospital should have been "supportive" of her. It was a pretty big, stupid mistake. It's very sad that this woman was so disturbed that she killed herself, but this specific incident was not the reason, it was simply the catalyst. ANYTHING could have ended up being the catalyst. It was pure chance that this odd situation happened to her. Prayers for her family and friends.

CriticXtreme

No job is worth smurfing yourself!

Straight Talkin Texan

I'm NOT surprised. When I heard the statement early on about the hospital being supportive, I thought NOT! I have a crappy employer who has been making me miserable over less important issues than this nurse had, and it has driven me to despair.

chunkylover53

I can only assume Royalty and this nurse aren't part of the socialized medical system they have in Britain because the nurses in that system don't care about ANYTHING and they can't be fired. They don't have any shame and they don't have any compassion for the patients. They're bureaucrats like any other state department or agency who just punch the clock and ridicule the public they're supposed to be serving.

nick van capelleveen

that bitch was suicidal from the beginnig. give that dj's their jobs back.

Jack

Anyone surprised? I'm sure the hospital management were awful and since I've worked in three, I know of what I speak.

justagirl

Okay TMZ here's your chance to really investigate something and find out real info... what happened to the nurse who actually did give out info? No one has heard from her since this incident. The nurse who committed suicide only transferred the call. The DJ's still take a lot of blame in this because if they had not pulled that supid prank or at least not air it, none of these events would have happened. It's because of them that we are typing comments about this. But my mom is a nurse and a bully, and i have no doubt that the nurse who died was treated very harshly by the hospital and probably by the other nurse too. I feel they tried to make jacintha the fall guy in this mess, probably because she was indian.

TT

The Sun (UK) allows people to comment on their articles, plenty of visitors were only commenting/ranting about the aussies to be blame.

I commented that the hospital might have pressured her, funny thing it was blocked and removed. Bloody ponse it is their own fault that the poor nurse died.

Cindy

Hospitals do not "support" we nurses when we make a mistake. They ream our a$$e$$ for opening them and ourselves to liability. The hospital was only covering it's A$$ by saying that they were supportive. What a joke.

lisa

I too thought she had to be crazy to commit suicide over a stupid prank (and she only transferred the call), but then again, I am willing to believe the part about the hospitals coming down hard on her and spinning it the other way too. I still think suicide was an extreme response, but there is a lot of politics in the nursing/medical profession.

lonely hearts

I worked at mc ****s and they gave me an awful time when I ****ed up an order....I can only imagine what they said to this poor women....supportive my ass!!

ragdoll821

People do not realize how mean employers can make life.

Jen

So sick of seeing this stupid bitch's face! She decided to kill herself. It was her decision. No one else is at fault. She was a hot mess. Leaving notes everywhere. Never thinking of her kids. Shame on her. So over this story.

Uk

A hospital has told an MP representing the family of a nurse found dead after a prank call that it had stood "by her judgement" in putting the call through. In a letter sent to Keith Vaz MP, the chief executive of the King Edward VII's Hospital said Jacintha Saldanha had been "reassured on a number of occasions by senior managers" and offered support in the aftermath of the hoax. Mr Vaz said Ms Saldanha's family needed to know the "full facts" of what happened, and has called for the hospital to provide the family with more support and to hold an inquiry. "Jacintha believed that the call was genuine, and she felt it appropriate to put the call through. We stand by her judgement," said the letter from John Lofthouse. "Jacintha was reassured on a number of occasions by senior management that no blame was attached to her actions and that there were no disciplinary issues involved, because she had been the victim of a cruel trick." Ms Saldanha was offered time off, the possibility to return to her home in Bristol and counselling, the letter said. "Jacintha said that she would prefer to continue working. Neither ourselves, her friends or family noticed anything to give cause for concern," Mr Lofthouse wrote.

GgrimeyxD

I really don't believe she killed herself at all