« BACK TO TMZ TMZ

Jovan Belcher's Coach

Pled with NFL Player

'You're Taking the Easy Way Out'

12/18/2012 9:27 AM PST BY TMZ STAFF
breaking news

1218_romeo_jovan
Kansas City Chiefs head coach Romeo Crennel begged Jovan Belcher to put down his handgun and not kill himself during a tense standoff on December 1st ... telling the player, "You're taking the easy way out."

The Kansas City PD just released new documents from the murder/suicide investigation ... in which witnesses describe the sad moments before the NFL linebacker shot himself in the head.

Belcher had driven to the Chiefs practice facility after shooting the mother of his child Kasandra Perkins at their home ... and, while carrying a handgun, had a conversation with Chiefs GM Scott Pioli in the parking lot.

According to witnesses, Belcher told Pioli ... "I'm sorry Scott, I've done a bad thing to my girlfriend already. I want to talk with Gibbs and Romeo."

He continued, "You know that I've been having some major problems at home and with my girlfriend. I need help! I wasn't able to get enough help. I appreciate everything you all have done for me with trying to help ... but it wasn't enough. I have hurt my girl already and I can't go back now."

According to witnesses, Crennel arrived to the parking lot and pled with Belcher to put the gun down ... saying, "You're taking the easy way out."

Crennel told cops Jovan briefly lowered the gun to chamber a round, then he blessed himself by making a cross sign on his chest ... and then he fired one shot into his head, killing himself.

During the investigation, witnesses -- including Crennel -- told police that Belcher and his girlfriend had been arguing about money.

In the report, cops say, "[Crennel] stated that he got the impression that Ms. Perkins wanted to live a better life and expected to live a better life because she was with an NFL player."

Crennel also told cops Jovan was "smart with his money and didn't live outside his means."

Then again, he was driving a Bentley on the day of the murder.

For more sports stories, check out tmzsports.com!

TNT

Should have killed himself first instead of leaving a poor baby without it's mother. Rot in hell along with that piece of s*** who killed those innoncent people in CT. Can't believe people are trying to defend this murderer. Shame on you.

tmz posters dont know sh1t

TMZ SHUT THE F@CK UP! You can own a Bentley and still be smart with you money you idiots! What sucks is women are never satisfied. He probably took that girl from rags to some sort of riches and she STILL was nagging him fincancially smfh!

CarneyIsGod

Ahh.. she was a gold digger, someone on the 1st story saying he's dead said he was probably over money, and they were right.. dumb hoe

speakMYbrain

HE FOUND OUT THE KIDS WASNT HIS!

angie

he knew that he was taking g the easy way out, he had just murdered his girlfriend , he didn't want to face charges for that , so he took his life as well

Vote2012

Are we suppose to feel sorry for this guy...notice how he claims others failed by not giving him more help..that tells you a lot about this guy. Sadly pro sports are full of these overpaid clowns who think the world owes them something because the can run fast or throw the ball far. They might be very large men on the outside, but very small and evil inside.

USA#1

Piece of **** savage Jovan Belcher is no better than that evil ****ing turd that shot the kids at the Sandy Hook school. Why do these idiots have to kill innocent people. Just kill yourselves and do the rest of us a favor.

Mike

First, there are "dead beat" parents that abandon their child(ren) but this commentary is not about them and this is not the case for this story.

This senseless killing is a function of our archaic and biased Family Law. Family law puts parents against each other to fight over child custody and money (child support) like wolves fighting to become pack leader. And just like wolves, Parents will fight to the death - notice the child was unharmed.

If the system was fair (90% of child custody cases are awarded to Mother's) and gave Father's equal rights to raise their child as the 14th amendment grants (equal rights for all citizens) then "Baby Mom's" would have no incentive to take the child (money) and run. Many of these "Baby Mom's" know that they get the money with or without the Father in the home. Some women even force the man to leave the home so they can get child support. They prey on wealthy men with the hopes of getting the "BIG UP" (aka transfer of wealth) through child support enforcement. Some parents think "Why should I try to work with the other parent when I can get more money from him/her through child support?"

Many wealthy parents spend their young lives working hard to achieve their American Dream, and they will be damned if all their success, hard work and money is now transferred to the other parent under the guise of "the best interest of the child". Parenthood should not be turned into a debt nor a crime. No citizen should be forced into debt and servitude (13th Amendment). Give me liberty or give me death - that's the American spirit! Family law can not continue to treat parents like adversaries because someone will get hurt or killed. The blood is on the hands of Family Law.

Benall

You can drive a Bentley when you are making $1.9 Mil this year. Plus he was about to hit a big pay day as a Free Agent in March 2013. I think she was expecting him to be out there "Wilding Out" with his money and he wasn't that type of "Baller". Sounds like he probably should have taken his time to find the right woman.

Previous 15 Comments | 1 | 2 | 3