Ben Affleck

Heads to Capitol Hill --

The Congo Needs Our Help!

12/19/2012 8:30 AM PST BY TMZ STAFF

121912_affleck_congo_launch
Ben Affleck -- famous actor, director and screenwriter -- is now adding congressional testifier to his resume ... 'cause the "Argo" star just hit Capitol Hill to ask for U.S. intervention in the Democratic Republic of the Congo.

Affleck addressed the House Armed Services Committee on the security situation in the Democratic Republic of the Congo this morning, claiming militant rebel groups have destabilized the country for long enough ... and it's time the U.S. put an end to the violence once and for all.

Why is Affleck qualified to talk about the Congo problems? Well, he happens to be the founder of the Eastern Congo Initiative, a humanitarian group that provides funding for local leaders and organizations in the eastern Congo.

Fancy that.

Nicole

Each one of us has the opportunity to create positive change in the world and to offer love and hope to those who are in desperate need of help. In fact, I believe that's what we're meant to do with our time here on Earth; we are meant to help one another. Everyone has a passion. Everyone has a cause. Most of you may not agree with Ben Affleck working on humanitarian aide projects in Africa, but most of you also have never visited the country to witness the devastation first hand. I have been to Africa, I have fallen in love with the continent and the people there and have done my best to help them in any way that I can. Just because I hope to help them and make their lives better, it doesn't mean that I don't do all that I can to help my fellow American citizens as well. For those of you who are angry about the fact that he's "not doing enough" to help the United States, maybe you should look at it as an opportunity to do your part to help the people here at home. You may not believe it, but you have as much capability to help others as Ben Affleck does. Sometimes the smallest gesture of kindness means the most. Criticizing doesn't help anyone and as far as I'm concerned, it doesn't matter who you are, or what continent you live on, we're all deserving of and in need of love. It saddens my heart to know that most individuals are so close minded and "greedy" when it comes to such topics as these; but it gives me hope to see someone like Ben Affleck, celebrity or not, who is willing to go above and beyond to dedicate his life to help his fellow man, no matter in what part of the world they may reside.

RaisingStar

The U.S.A needs our help!

Me Too

Hmmm... Let's see...he had a hit movie and has since thought we all care what he thinks. Let me tell mr. wonderful (affleck) something: There are ignored, hungry, homeless DECENT people in America. They are veterans, they are in pain RIGHT HERE IN THIS COUNTRY- the country that pays you MILLIONS to read a damn script. He and Angelina Jolie should get together- she thinks she's the Queen of England and he thinks he's JFK.

Robin

The US will only help the Congo if they discover oil there. The US only helps the downtrodden if there's a oil.
No oily? No helpy.

_][ Character_Assassin ][_

Probably needs help getting the blood diamonds back to the US.

jazzplr11

Who freakin cares about the Congo?

Elizabeth Alan

Go Ben, go!!! I have always been a fan.

Isatou

I'm sick and tired of some of these people complaining about the wonderful work Ben is doing. Talking about charity begins at home, the truth is that Americans are spoiled, some don't want to get up and work, yet they sit down and complain about foreigners especially Hispanics, and Africans taking jobs away from them. The opportunity is right here, but instead of making use of it, they sit trying to pick and choose what type of work to do.

USArmy

How about America first! Use your millions to help them. Sick and tired of our money going to help those overseas instead of those here.

Vernon P. Alarcon

It's time for Ben Dover and his bestie Matt Doorman to adopt twins from the Congo......MUST SAVE THE WORLD NOW!!!!!!!

latestdiets.net

in russia, country raise funds for celebrity.

t.r.

Don't we have enough of our own problems? Haven't we spent enough money trying to protect sh*t holes that don't stand a chance of ever being "normal?"

Brian

Why not talk to the UN instead? This isn't a US problem. Let the world deal with it, not just us. If the UN can't help on things like this just get rid of them.

Gary

Hey Ben.Get your priorities in order. There is plenty that needs to be fixed right here at home. Focus on that and maybe someone will take you seriously

Trecee

It's nice to hear about celebrities taking part not just in their own countries crises but in others as well. Me me me should stop at some point. Good job Ben.