Judd Apatow

I Wrote Child Murder Jokes

YEARS AGO For 'This Is 40'

12/19/2012 10:50 AM PST BY TMZ STAFF
EXCLUSIVE

1219_thisis40

Judd Apatow meant no harm in his script for "This Is 40" when one of the characters jokingly plays a "murder game" with his kids.  Judd tells us, he wrote the script 2 years ago, long before the Connecticut tragedy.

The scene in question involves the Albert Brooks' character, who is broke and looking for ways to save money.  The character, Larry, prepares to spray his triplets with a hose and says, "Line up! Line up for murder!  Come on!  Who wants to be killed?"

One of the kids screams, "I do!"  Larry responds, "Okay, we're eliminating one, we're cheaper already," and then Larry sprays the child.

The next kid says, "Murder me!"  Larry responds, "Boom, dead.  You're dead," adding, "All right, the kids are murdered.  That will save us some money."

Judd tells us, the scene "is spoken by a sarcastic father kidding with his children.  In light of recent events, I understand if some people might make an unfortunate association or put it in a context in which it was not intended."

We've learned the scene is staying in the movie, which opens Friday.

1219_subasset_script_WM

Nobody.Puts.Bieber.In.A.Corner

Holy **** the people at TMZ are ****ing morons! JUST KILL YOURSELVES!

wendy

wow, i see it tmz...quentin tarentino, stephen king, alfred hitch****, and now judd...

Mels

Pull that movie and cut the scene. It's not worth the trouble.

Killmonokill

Ok guys I must confess I once played war with my friends 20 years ago and pretended to shot them..... I swear I diddnt mean to offend people 20 years later..... Sound ridiculous????? That's because it is.... You and the rest of the media are cheapening the tragedy with all these bull**** stories... Smh

Cheryl A.

It doesn't sound funny even if the CT. murders didn't happen. Only a stupid person would "play murder games" with their children.

Jeni

This is not the first tragedy and will not be the last. Artists will always use media, their life and experiences to fuel the creative process. Censoring things will not change anything. People who are going to shoot up schools or blow up buildings are going to do so no matter what they are watching on tv or listening to on the radio.

andria

Does no one have parents who used to tell them to go play tag in traffic or take a long walk off a short pier? Clearly my mother wasn't actually thinking of murdering me or hoping I committed suicide, and obviously neither does the father in this scene. He's not doing it maliciously and the children are having fun. We go from completely ignoring something that shouldn't have been ignored to jumping down anyone's throat who happens to utter the words 'child' and 'murder' within the same month.

ғυтυяεм ♀

Is everything that talks about children and death going to be scrutinized?

Ashley

It is never funny to talk about children murder and after seeing the devastation it causes I think it is reprehensible to not be cut from the movie. I wanted to see this movie but now I will not.

bozzman

the joke isn't funny enough to counter the insensitivity. i'm shocked they're not cutting it out.

Killmonokill

The real story that NO media is talking about is that 100% of mass murder's have been or are being treated with anti-depressant and anti-psychoses meds.. That's the REAL culprit not movies/games/jokes.... Cover THAT story tmz/CNN/HLN/bbc

ғυтυяεм ♀

One time I played a zombie shooting game, the zombies were supposed to jump scare you along with normal people. I shot a kid in the game because He jumped out and I thought it was a zombie. I wonder If they will blame that game too.

wendy

when my son was a pre-teen, my house was always the place where all the boys came to play, i'd make comment's like, "if you don't put your dishes in the kitchen heads will roll!" omg....i'm a killer!

That Pop Life..yeah..

This is totally ridiculous,my heart hose out to Newtown,just one person was/is responsible.Why the hell is everyone else feeling the heat?? @TommyJones,get-off my long beautiful hair tantalizing smile surfer dude in the TMZ Newsroom,sorry Charles..

Tony H.

Here we go with the hysterical over-reaction to a national tragedy again. After 9/11 OMG! You can't show the twin towers in movies already filmed, or you can't play songs that could remind people about 9/11 or you can't be "ironic" because 9/11 killed irony! Pffft. This is just as bad. And stupid.