Judd Apatow

I Wrote Child Murder Jokes

YEARS AGO For 'This Is 40'

12/19/2012 10:50 AM PST BY TMZ STAFF
EXCLUSIVE

1219_thisis40

Judd Apatow meant no harm in his script for "This Is 40" when one of the characters jokingly plays a "murder game" with his kids.  Judd tells us, he wrote the script 2 years ago, long before the Connecticut tragedy.

The scene in question involves the Albert Brooks' character, who is broke and looking for ways to save money.  The character, Larry, prepares to spray his triplets with a hose and says, "Line up! Line up for murder!  Come on!  Who wants to be killed?"

One of the kids screams, "I do!"  Larry responds, "Okay, we're eliminating one, we're cheaper already," and then Larry sprays the child.

The next kid says, "Murder me!"  Larry responds, "Boom, dead.  You're dead," adding, "All right, the kids are murdered.  That will save us some money."

Judd tells us, the scene "is spoken by a sarcastic father kidding with his children.  In light of recent events, I understand if some people might make an unfortunate association or put it in a context in which it was not intended."

We've learned the scene is staying in the movie, which opens Friday.

1219_subasset_script_WM

Previous 15 Comments | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7

jaythepirate

He wrote it 2 years ago. The real c* are u ppl that cry about things ppl did years ago. Your a c*unt for making it about the kids In conn

w

I swear I never knew that actor's last name but for some reason ALWAYS knew his first name was judd....I really thought he had a different last name

Kash511

I'm gonna see it regardless but he's an ******* for not taking it out of the movie

campy

If that scene is any reflection on the movie as a whole, it sounds freakin' lame. Straight to DVD.

Ronni

Man that is SICK. I can't believe he'd be bragging about it. But this is the guy who wants to make a movie with a convicted child show creep. Brains is not big on Judd's resume.

DoubleA

I went to the academy premier and movie is awesome. You are the dumbasses for associating it with the crime of a psycho. And do you really think a film can be edited and redone that fast?!?! F*cking idiots...

odiausa

There is no way you're serious with this. Give it a rest. BETTER BAN CASPER IT'S ABOUT A DEAD KID.

Carl Williams

He is trying to cash in on the sandy hook hilarity

ckover

We have to stop being so politicaly correct if you don 't like it don 't go if you don 't point it out chances are most people won 't notice it anyway, face it the movie probably not that good anyway.

furryorangecat

Humor heals

alknowing

Non story! This scene was not shot over the weekend to take advantage of the shooting. Neither should it get removed because of the shooting. If you suddenly find this kind of humor unar then vote with your dollars. Otherwise zip it up and stay off my lawn!

DWeaver

I think the timing is unfortunate, but does it really need to take a tragedy like Newtown to remind people that jokes about killing kids are simply not funny? We're living in a world where kids are killed everyday, sadly some by their parents. I think that if the people distributing the film aren't willing to cut out this scene, then the movie theaters need boycott. If they don't, then it's up to moviegoers to choose other films. This is the time when Oscar caliber films are released, so people have a lot to choose from.

Emma

It doesn't matter when this was written, it's still just sick.

Previous 15 Comments | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7