Iron Butterfly Bassist

Dead at 70

12/21/2012 3:20 PM PST BY TMZ STAFF
EXCLUSIVE

1221_iron_butterfly_lee_dorman_death_dead_article
Lee Dorman -- the bassist for the acid rock band Iron Butterfly -- was found dead at his home in Orange County, CA earlier today ... TMZ has learned.

70-year-old Dorman was an original member of the group -- and played during their famous 17 minute recording of the rock classic "In-A-Gadda-Da-Vida."

Law enforcement sources tell TMZ ... officers responded to Dorman's home around 10 AM this morning ... and he was found sitting in his car.

We're told cops do not believe there is anything suspicious about his death.

Dorman reportedly had a history of heart problems -- and according to some reports, the medical issue forced him to retire from music.

Story developing ...

If sense were common everyone would have it.

One of the most unforgettable baselines in rock. Even IF he had help from the keyboards, he still nailed it.

Rest in melody.

thestupid

70!?!? Christ Im getting old.

stlrockn

Half of the great Rock Band that recorded that cool song are now gone. Original guitarist Erik Braunn
(who was only 17 when they recorded it) died in 2003).
I can't tell you how many times I smoked a doob and listened to that song under blacklight in my poster covered room. I feel bad for younger kids who missed RocknRoll and only have crap like Justin Beiber and rap music to listen to. I later saw Lee in another legendary Rock Band called Captain Beyond.
(look it up kiddies...and pick up their first album).
That's right, I said album...I may be older but I got to see ALL of the coolest bands.

Rick

RIP LEE, I was glad to you and the IB in Scranton in 1973

mrz16

"In the garden of eden" were supposed to be lyrics, but an intense altered state of reality resulted in the current lyrics. At least this is what I read 30 years ago.

Gretel

I grew up with that music. My mom used to play music all the time when she cleaned house and I heard all of those songs so many times. I remember my dad and her having a conversation about another band member who was a physicist or had a degree of something like that and he went missing. There was a huge conspiracy theory, aside from the fact that he was having some pretty bad schizo-type episodes, but his remains were found in his car in the desert or something. Sorry I digress ... but RIP Lee Dorman, my parents grew up with you and so did I.

BC

Probably a heart attack.

Sue

"In-a-Gadda-Da-vidal" , was THE dance song of free love. It made your arms go up and fingers wrap around. I will always love this song. And the drum solo is fantastic

Hohan

So sad, and this the day after the zither player from Moby Grape dies

Laughing at celebrities is fun.

Awesome, back when they played instruments and used their own voice. Great song to schroom to...... back when i did that.

click

the guy could play..entire band as well. the video is amazing.

johnnyS

RIP and condolences to his family. Iron Butterfly didn't last long (about 10 years) but it had a great influence http://www.fuhshnizzle.com/pedia/artists/Iron-Butterfly.html and In-A-Gadda-Da-Vida is so iconic.

Michael Lambrose

Another of my music idol's has left .... Rest In Peace Lee

Hohan

So sad, and this the day after the zither player from Moby Grape dies

Robert Rensch

The Iron Butterfly material was good for its time, but if you really want to hear some timeless music with Lee Dorman And Rhino, have a listen to Captain Beyond's first album. Lee was one of my first bass playing influences. What a strong player!
Rest in Peace, Lee. You'll be remembered.

Previous 15 Comments | 1 | 2 | 3 | Most Recent | Next 15 Comments