Spike Lee

RIPS 'DJANGO'

Movie Is 'Disrespectful to My Ancestors'

12/24/2012 9:35 AM PST BY TMZ STAFF
breaking news

1224-spike-lee-quentin-tarantino
Spike Lee says he REFUSES to see Quentin Tarantino's new flick, "Django Unchained" when it opens tomorrow ... claiming the slavery-revenge movie is "disrespectful to my ancestors."

Lee first went off on "Django" during an interview with Vibe Magazine ... when he was asked for his thoughts on the subject matter and gave the following response:

"I can't speak on it 'cause I'm not gonna see it ... All I'm going to say is that it's disrespectful to my ancestors. That's just me ... I'm not speaking on behalf of anybody else."

He later tweeted about the movie -- "American Slavery Was Not A Sergio Leone Spaghetti Western.It Was A Holocaust.My Ancestors Are Slaves.Stolen From Africa.I Will Honor Them."

"Django" -- which stars Jamie Foxx as a slave who kills slave-owners in the Deep South -- has been drenched in controversy for weeks ... with some critics upset that the n-word is uttered more than 110 times during the movie.

Back in 1997,Lee told the media he had problem with Tarantino's "excessive use of the n-word" in the movie "Jackie Brown." Lee explained, "Let the record state that I never said that he cannot use that word -- I’ve used that word in many of my films -- but I think something is wrong with him."

SNAFU

Oh, waa,waa, waa.

jac smith

Spike has had a hard on for Quentin for years. Its about time he got over it-I'm pretty sure Quentin has

Lucky_130

I really dont see what all the hub-bub is about here. Anyone with half a brain should know that Jamie Foxx is a hardcore racist and hates white people with a raging passion, just like Spike Lee. I hope Spike spends the Holidays crying in his beer, thinking how he has become a nobody, and QT is still making blockbuster movies.

The other guy

So only Spike Lee is allowed to make movies about african american history? absurd.

Shaunie

Who's going to listen to a black dude named Spike?

NOT ELMO

i will NOT watch this movie....

ok

Well those glasses are disrespectful to all beer bottles.

Shaunie

I'll be watching it Christmas Day! Leo is yummy

There's a problem here

I can't even pretend to know the Black psyche in America but Spike obviously doesn't understand the jist of the whole thing. You can't erase reality. At the turn of the 19th century here in the good old USA people other than the moneyed caucasians, the immigrants had their "place" and none of it was pretty, and they were referred to as what are now slurs without a second thought. Maybe Spike is jealous because he didn't make that movie. My opinion only, folks.

Keyser Söze

Weirdly enough, Jamie Foxx said he talked with Lee before the movie opened, and Lee was adamant that he will not said one bad thing about it.

Then again, this is Spike Lee were talking about... the man will always have a problem with a movie depicting a black slave taking revenge on slave-owners IF HE'S NOT THE ONE DIRECTING IT.

And, since he always had issues with Tarantino (some would say jealousy...), this isn't surprising at all.

BTW, this is coming from a black guy: Django is awesome.

Scholar

Wow Racism is strong on TMZ. People have the nerve. We've had Senators in our Country telling Blacks to "Get Over Slavery", would anyone every tell Jewish Person to "Get over the Holocaust?" Nope. Spike is right to call it a Holocaust, Matter of fact Slavery was WORST than the Holocaust and lasted Hundreds of Years. Family broken apart, Babies killed, and tons of death and torture. The Holocaust did not last as long as slavery did. I like QT as a filmmaker but he is way to obsessed with the N-word. Spike is a Legend and has made some Legendary Movies. He's right that Hollywood needs to stop making a mockery of Black History, enough is enough.

steak man

Hey Spike, make your own movie on the same issue oh wait nobody cares about your comments or your movies.

BB not bb

Let's talk about racism here. A Sergio Leone spaghetti western? I didn't know that Tarrantino was making cheap B movies just because he is also Italian. Talk about narrow minded.

When the main thrust of your movies is racism, you aren't going to have much depth. Maybe Lee should learn from Tarrantino and try to look outside the woe is me box.

Everett

as long as Spike does not release and blast Quintin's address on Twitter , he can complain all he wants. LOL

nitrofish

What makes Spike think anyone gives a **** what he thinks about anything