Spike Lee

RIPS 'DJANGO'

Movie Is 'Disrespectful to My Ancestors'

12/24/2012 9:35 AM PST BY TMZ STAFF
breaking news

1224-spike-lee-quentin-tarantino
Spike Lee says he REFUSES to see Quentin Tarantino's new flick, "Django Unchained" when it opens tomorrow ... claiming the slavery-revenge movie is "disrespectful to my ancestors."

Lee first went off on "Django" during an interview with Vibe Magazine ... when he was asked for his thoughts on the subject matter and gave the following response:

"I can't speak on it 'cause I'm not gonna see it ... All I'm going to say is that it's disrespectful to my ancestors. That's just me ... I'm not speaking on behalf of anybody else."

He later tweeted about the movie -- "American Slavery Was Not A Sergio Leone Spaghetti Western.It Was A Holocaust.My Ancestors Are Slaves.Stolen From Africa.I Will Honor Them."

"Django" -- which stars Jamie Foxx as a slave who kills slave-owners in the Deep South -- has been drenched in controversy for weeks ... with some critics upset that the n-word is uttered more than 110 times during the movie.

Back in 1997,Lee told the media he had problem with Tarantino's "excessive use of the n-word" in the movie "Jackie Brown." Lee explained, "Let the record state that I never said that he cannot use that word -- I’ve used that word in many of my films -- but I think something is wrong with him."

TheVolleyballGod

Spike has his ancestral history wrong, blacks were not stolen from Africa they were sold off by their tribal leaders for shiny European boots and silver ware, some fancy hats and Europeans classy looking clothes . 20 white Europeans ona rinky dinky wooden ship armed with just a one shot flimsy firearm could not herd off a village of 50 thousand savages .. no sir they were sold off by their tribal leader.

Infiniti

the excessive use of the n-word is one of the only historically accurate things of the film. it doesn't take half a brain to know that racists of the time used it more an the word, "the". if spike took an optimistic approach for once, he would be happy that there is some element of accuracy in the movie, even if it has a negative background

mark

spike doesn't understand that when you decide to make a flim using the subject of slavery and is set in that particular time period, filmmakers would obviously do their best to adopt the vernacular that was used at the time simply for the sake of authenticity. that's how they spoke of blacks back in those embarrassing times! what's spike want? slave owners referring to their slaves as, "african americans"? just another silly attempt to inject himself into the news using controversy. spike lee hasn't made a decent film in years, whereas a quentin tarantino film exists as a highly anticipated "event". spike is done. quentin tarantino is one of our greatest directors around nowadays.

BB not bb

If Lee is so worried about honoring his ancestors, he should make a movie about what instigated the slave trade and caused it to be popular in southern Ameica among plantation owners. I think he would uncover alot of facts about who is to blame, such as the Muslim traders who sold the black captives to the Dutch traders, who sold them to English merchants in the north who shipped them to the south. Maybe he could put in the movie what the plantation owners were thinking when they bought the slaves and had some of them in their homes caring for their own children like they were family.

The idea that white people were just randomly trying to exterminate the black race is ridiculous.

Sherron

Too bad what he likes, he is a RACIST, he promotes racism on a daily basis! Too bad the whiner can't get his way in everything!!

Scholar

People want to talk about Spike's movies only dealing with Race but that's all not true, he's done a ton of different topics but yes he has spoken on race in his films. All QT does is take and copy shots from other directors. Also he's used the same "Revenge" angle in his last 4 movies:

Django: Black Revenge
Bastards: Jewish Revenge
Death Proof: Female Driver Revenge
Kill Bill: Female Martial Arts Revenge
Jackie Brown: Female Crime Revenge

QT must of had a tortured childhood.

SoWhat

Spike Lee can shut the hell up, his movie suck, he's just jealous that he can't make a movie 1/10th as good as Quentin.

Toilethead

Spike Lee should honor America and move to Africa.

heh?what?

I wonder if Spike Lee's penis is Asian or African.
Keep racism alive!
/sarcasm

Don

Spike Lee's new movie should be called "The Hypocrite", that is, if he is still making crappy movies!!!

BB not bb

I kind of want to see more Tarrantino movies now just because he irks this racist so much. If Tarrantino was such an irrelevant director of spaghetti westerns, why would Spike even care to mention him? I think he is totally scared of the competition. He must have heard great things about the movie from other blacks that he never heard about his own movies.

I don't think most white people feel uplifted by white supremacist rhetoric, so I don't think blacks like to be served an agenda agaisnt whites when they see movies directed at them either.

Concerned about society

Hey spike if u don't like the USA or what happened to your ansestors take all ur peeps back to Africa..I bet if u did the movie it's acceptable cuz u r an African American? The double standard BS with black m white comments r played out

lisa

Spike.. please know how much we all hate you. Your movies suck..they just dont hold up.

3Storms

1. They weren't stolen from Africa. They were paid for after being sold by fellow black Africans.
2. The white man introduced indentured servitude to America. A black man named Anthony Johnson introduced slavery for life to America because this BLACK MAN wanted to keep his black slaves.
3. Slavery is still practiced in Africa.
4. Millions of WHITES were brought to America as slaves too
5. Whites freed the slaves. Blacks still commit slavery in Africa.

So don't let the facts of history hit Mr. Lee in the ass on his way out

And Spike Lee is nothing but a racist piece of trash.

kells

Who even asked Spike what he thought? Not relevant... Someone needs some attention.