Spike Lee

RIPS 'DJANGO'

Movie Is 'Disrespectful to My Ancestors'

12/24/2012 9:35 AM PST BY TMZ STAFF
breaking news

1224-spike-lee-quentin-tarantino
Spike Lee says he REFUSES to see Quentin Tarantino's new flick, "Django Unchained" when it opens tomorrow ... claiming the slavery-revenge movie is "disrespectful to my ancestors."

Lee first went off on "Django" during an interview with Vibe Magazine ... when he was asked for his thoughts on the subject matter and gave the following response:

"I can't speak on it 'cause I'm not gonna see it ... All I'm going to say is that it's disrespectful to my ancestors. That's just me ... I'm not speaking on behalf of anybody else."

He later tweeted about the movie -- "American Slavery Was Not A Sergio Leone Spaghetti Western.It Was A Holocaust.My Ancestors Are Slaves.Stolen From Africa.I Will Honor Them."

"Django" -- which stars Jamie Foxx as a slave who kills slave-owners in the Deep South -- has been drenched in controversy for weeks ... with some critics upset that the n-word is uttered more than 110 times during the movie.

Back in 1997,Lee told the media he had problem with Tarantino's "excessive use of the n-word" in the movie "Jackie Brown." Lee explained, "Let the record state that I never said that he cannot use that word -- I’ve used that word in many of my films -- but I think something is wrong with him."

Buck Runner

Oooh, are the angry white comments here because the wittle white folks lost the election last time? All you voted for Romeny, everyone else voted for Barack? Oooohhh poor baby, we're sowwwy. You saps!

Buck Runner

All I hear in these comments is whining and crying by spoiled baby white people who can't take the FACT that their WHITE country is no longer WHITE.........boooo hoooo hooooo I'm sowwy that the USA is no longer a white country. Boo hoo. Idiots!

paul a.

Thank you Spike. Quentins fantasy revenge films like this one and the Nazi one show huge disrespect to the victims of both Holocausts.
The tragedy was that there were no chance for revenge. That the systems were so powerful that generations (and millions) were trapped. Unable to to do anything about their predicament they died exhausted, sad, bitter, unfulfilled.
The SS would have made mince meat of the Inglorious Bastards. The slave owners would have castrated, burned and lynched Jamie Foxx.
To wallow in some fantasy shows huge disrespect to those victims.

Black Swan

Spike, Chill, you're a bit over the top with your sense of entitlement. I guess it's OK to have a double standard if your black because they use the "N" Word very loosely. And, It makes it alright call every Mexican, BEANER, since I'm Mexican. BREATHE!!!!

Tiggy

Won't be seeing the movie either, not into movies that a toe sucker makes. kinky...
Spike needs to read History, your ancestors weren't stolen - your ancestors were rounded up by their own people (Muslim to be exact) and then sold to anyone (American & others). I don't deny what happened to his or my ancestors when they landed in America, but just remember Americans did not round you up, Africans did!!!!

Az Heat

Well your B.E.T. channel is offensive to me so I guess were even! It's just a movie dumb a$$

Trish

Is there something stopping all of these people who won't get over something that happened ove

Stella

Oh Spike, you are so ignorant and jealous. Honestly now, are you implying that the N word was not used to excess in that time? You are acting like a silly little boy. Get over it.

Trish

Ok lets try again.......Is there something stopping all of these people who can't seem to get over something that happened over 100 years ago from moving back to Africa? You don't have to forget slavery happened but for God's sake move on from it. Not to mention if you don't like the N word then all of you need to stop using it!

Buck Runner

ROFLMAO @ all of the boo hooing and anger from white people here. White people voted overwhelmingly for him Romney lost, get over it, this is not a white country anymore. Boo Hoo. LOL, "morans".

sean

Inglorious Bastards, hello Spike. Quentin does these type of movies. It's about a Black man killing a bunch of white people.. I don't think someone truly racist toward black people would make a movie about that.

Spike stop hating on other movie directors, you do the same thing to Tyler Perry don't hate on others financial if not artistic successes.

John

Spike Lee needs to get over it. He should move to Aftica. This argument is old and tired. Concentrate on this generation.

Mike G.

Green is a color not very flattering to you Mr.Lee, Maybe you should make your own **** rather than criticizing other people's projects. Last time I checked the only disrespectful thing I can remember is the horrible no talent train wrecks that you call "spike Lee joint"

SoCalHD

Spike your ancestors weren't stolen from Africa. They were sold and bought and probably a good for you becacaise you might of ended up a starving kid instead of a Hollywood director. Slavery was a bad thing and I defiantly don't condone it but Spike's whining isn't going to change what has happened.

KnuckleDragger

Hey! You know what, Spike? Your last name is Lee, Chinese...not some African name like Matoomba. STFU!