Spike Lee

RIPS 'DJANGO'

Movie Is 'Disrespectful to My Ancestors'

12/24/2012 9:35 AM PST BY TMZ STAFF
breaking news

1224-spike-lee-quentin-tarantino
Spike Lee says he REFUSES to see Quentin Tarantino's new flick, "Django Unchained" when it opens tomorrow ... claiming the slavery-revenge movie is "disrespectful to my ancestors."

Lee first went off on "Django" during an interview with Vibe Magazine ... when he was asked for his thoughts on the subject matter and gave the following response:

"I can't speak on it 'cause I'm not gonna see it ... All I'm going to say is that it's disrespectful to my ancestors. That's just me ... I'm not speaking on behalf of anybody else."

He later tweeted about the movie -- "American Slavery Was Not A Sergio Leone Spaghetti Western.It Was A Holocaust.My Ancestors Are Slaves.Stolen From Africa.I Will Honor Them."

"Django" -- which stars Jamie Foxx as a slave who kills slave-owners in the Deep South -- has been drenched in controversy for weeks ... with some critics upset that the n-word is uttered more than 110 times during the movie.

Back in 1997,Lee told the media he had problem with Tarantino's "excessive use of the n-word" in the movie "Jackie Brown." Lee explained, "Let the record state that I never said that he cannot use that word -- I’ve used that word in many of my films -- but I think something is wrong with him."

scandal@ungibungi.com

Spike Lee is outraged? Again? Really? What a laugh!

Pompano Ann

Can everyone relax! For those of you familiar w/Q.T. Movies they have been great and Sam L. Jackson is in a lot of them, including this one. Lets see Roots,, Color Purple, Gone W/the Wind, let's not start with movies that really offend, Boys in the hood, about the real hood oops Spike that's your handy work! Spike how many Yankee folk u hang out with?

dgh629

Someone tell him that slaves were sold by their own people. They were not stolen...

Lefty

What has Spike done recently for anyone to care what he says?

Tiffany

Spike Lee is just pissed because Quentin Tarantino, a WHITE BOY, makes better movies about blacks than Spike does. Spike Lee's movies SUCK! I'm sick of his RACIST crap. He hasn't seen it, yet it's a disgrace? What a dumb @ss! Make a good movie than you can talk some trash. Until then, go the F**k away.

Adrian

who's mad sike? the black family or the white family??

Brian

Hey Spike, just because you don't come up with this great idea don't be a baby about it. Grow the hell up and start acting like an adult. Oh and BTW, the Knicks suck

Electronicoffee

Spike Lee has EXPLOITED (some would say RAPED) Black Culture for his own profit and artistic ego for decades and he has the nerve to call out Quentin Tarantino (who is considered an honorary 'brother' in the black community) given that he's one of the only white men who can use the N word in his movies flagrantly and within appropriate context. Spike Lee is jealous, washed up, and hasn't made a good movie in the last 10 years. He's just mad he makes crap like She Hate Me, Love & Basketball, and Kobe Doin' Work. It's ATROCIOUS that he's the one remaking Oldboy.

Sassyone

Let's count how many times the N word is used in movies likes Menace to Society, Higher Learning etc.

Diem

I think that Tarantino is a weirdo, too. But that's what makes him a great filmmaker! The "n" word, however, comes from a place of hatred, and is one of the most disgusting words every used. I understand that he is trying to be as realistic as possible with this movie, but I can understand it ruffling a few feathers. I think that Spike Lee has turned into a complete horse's backside. His earlier works were great, but lately he just seems so protentious and entitled. I cannot stand him anymore.

Buck Runner

And the white anger and whine fest continues. Quit YER blubbering and simpering!!!! Bunch a white whiney babies mad that ALL minorities voted as a majority of their populations for Barack and white people voted as a majority for Romney and LOST!!!! L! O! S! T! Crying and whining about this NOT BEING A WHITE COUNTRY ANYMORE! Quit yer crying!!! Angry white babies!!!

jsd80

I want tee neg spike to be my slave. two bits going once .

Rob

I didn't know Jiminy Cricket was a slave.

Murphman

Spike..Who the hell are your ancestors??? Take a look in the mirror. Do you no realize you are a total joke and completely irrelevant???

verlinda

Steven Spielberg directed the Color Purple. Love that picture. While the blacks were around each other constantly in the movie, I don't remember any one calling each other the N-word. The only time it was used was when Oprah slapped the white guy in town. Was the film racist, yes to a degree, but, Spielberg has CLASS in directing his movies.