Spike Lee

RIPS 'DJANGO'

Movie Is 'Disrespectful to My Ancestors'

12/24/2012 9:35 AM PST BY TMZ STAFF
breaking news

1224-spike-lee-quentin-tarantino
Spike Lee says he REFUSES to see Quentin Tarantino's new flick, "Django Unchained" when it opens tomorrow ... claiming the slavery-revenge movie is "disrespectful to my ancestors."

Lee first went off on "Django" during an interview with Vibe Magazine ... when he was asked for his thoughts on the subject matter and gave the following response:

"I can't speak on it 'cause I'm not gonna see it ... All I'm going to say is that it's disrespectful to my ancestors. That's just me ... I'm not speaking on behalf of anybody else."

He later tweeted about the movie -- "American Slavery Was Not A Sergio Leone Spaghetti Western.It Was A Holocaust.My Ancestors Are Slaves.Stolen From Africa.I Will Honor Them."

"Django" -- which stars Jamie Foxx as a slave who kills slave-owners in the Deep South -- has been drenched in controversy for weeks ... with some critics upset that the n-word is uttered more than 110 times during the movie.

Back in 1997,Lee told the media he had problem with Tarantino's "excessive use of the n-word" in the movie "Jackie Brown." Lee explained, "Let the record state that I never said that he cannot use that word -- I’ve used that word in many of my films -- but I think something is wrong with him."

unbelievable

"American Slavery Was Not A Sergio Leone Spaghetti Western. No kidding Spike. And Django is not a do***entary.

Buck Runner

All I hear is white anger here. Hmmm all of you voted 60/40 for Romney against ALL OTHER minorities and LOST!!!!!!! Booo hooo hooo!! Awwwww, are the angry whiney white babies gonna snap and shoot up a school, movie theater or Sikh temple?

joshuakid22

Well spike Lee I'm a Black American and I will say a lot of your films where complete trash to blacks but on the other hand it will be a movie I must see slave killing White man

backfire

Well write your own movie then

elpablo

I'd be curious to know if Spike can even trace his lineal heritage. Slavery from 200 years has affected this guy absolutely none whatsoever. He is rich and has led a privileged life that most could only hope for. At the end of the day, Spike is a racist piece of sh*t. If Quentin were black, it would be OK. Since he's white, oh, it's racist. Go away Spike...you disrespect your own race.

er9803

***** Please

craig

Anyone under 23 ever heard of Spike?Nahhhh....your lucky,He is a porchmonkey that refused to put white people in his films unles they played Bensonhurst Italians with torn white t shirts with sauce stains holding baseball bats...I remember when he actually came to Brooklyn and ran from every white or BLACK that came in a handshake distance from his fragile soft ass....I thought he was living as Mrs Marten Lawrence anyways

Serialkilla213

Maybe he's just butthurt cause all of spikes movies Suck Lmao

Jsmiley

Both Spike and this movie look Dumb and uninteresting.....

Throwback kid

Every movie that Spike Lee has come out with for the last 20 years has been disrespectful to all movie audiences, black and white!This short little rat face has delivered nothing but crap at the box office for years, he should be apologizing to us for taking our money to watch those trash films he puts out. Instead of worryong about other peoples films, he should worry about making a decent one himself. The 80's were a looong time ago Mars Blackmen, this guy still lives off his rep from 1989, he's pathetic

HowardSternForPresident

Haters gonna' hate. Do The Right Thing and shut drink a tall glass of "shut the hell up"

Throwback kid

Most Black Americans see Spike Lee the same way they see Al Sharpton and Jesse Jackson. A race baiter with no real talent who is desperate for attention and wants to stay relevent by stirring up trouble between whites and blacks. I think most whites and blacks can band together on one thing, Spike hasn't put out a decent movie since Do The Right Thing! He has just one box office bomb after another, Spike should retire from movie making, he is wasting the studios money with all these horrible films he puts out

Ms.FACTs

Ok im ppl we all no slaves were not stolen bt they were offered ssomething of importance that in this day and age were offered to you that is just as iimportant as ir was them ppl would trade there mother...and remembwr these slaves were uneducated so just because they werent Stolen dose not make it betterthat they were manipulated by the White Man

larry

He is just mad cause he ain't had a hit in 100 years, and they did not want him involved with this progect

john

Spike no one gives a f*ck about what you think. Go back under the rock you crawled out from under.