Spike Lee

RIPS 'DJANGO'

Movie Is 'Disrespectful to My Ancestors'

12/24/2012 9:35 AM PST BY TMZ STAFF
breaking news

1224-spike-lee-quentin-tarantino
Spike Lee says he REFUSES to see Quentin Tarantino's new flick, "Django Unchained" when it opens tomorrow ... claiming the slavery-revenge movie is "disrespectful to my ancestors."

Lee first went off on "Django" during an interview with Vibe Magazine ... when he was asked for his thoughts on the subject matter and gave the following response:

"I can't speak on it 'cause I'm not gonna see it ... All I'm going to say is that it's disrespectful to my ancestors. That's just me ... I'm not speaking on behalf of anybody else."

He later tweeted about the movie -- "American Slavery Was Not A Sergio Leone Spaghetti Western.It Was A Holocaust.My Ancestors Are Slaves.Stolen From Africa.I Will Honor Them."

"Django" -- which stars Jamie Foxx as a slave who kills slave-owners in the Deep South -- has been drenched in controversy for weeks ... with some critics upset that the n-word is uttered more than 110 times during the movie.

Back in 1997,Lee told the media he had problem with Tarantino's "excessive use of the n-word" in the movie "Jackie Brown." Lee explained, "Let the record state that I never said that he cannot use that word -- I’ve used that word in many of my films -- but I think something is wrong with him."

D.Trump

why are whites so racist?

Lanstar

Gee, let me think, who do I have more respect for Quentin Tarintino or Spike Lee?
Oh wait, I don't have any respect for Spike Lee.

sadiq

Spike Lee NEVER said not once that he had exonerated Africans participation in the slave trade. THAT'S WHAT VIRTUALLY EVERYONE HERE IS MISSING. If Africans had sold Africans to other Africans, it would also be irrelevant, the color (or nationality) of the buyer & the seller is NOT the irrevocable scar on mankind. What's is a historical holocaust is that this was done to A PEOPLE (who happen to be Africans) a people that Spike Lee & myself are descendants of. If a Black family up in Harlem sold some Black Children to a White Family in the Hamptons, it is completely of NO CONSEQUENCE, that some of the perpetrators were also Black. The fact is, is that this happen to an innocent PEOPLE. And it makes me freaking incensed that most of you people sit behind your computers & just focus on race{screaming "YOUR OWN PEOPLE ARE GUILTY TOO". As if that makes it less atrocious}. It's Spike Lee's prerogative to feel as he does. I personally plan to see the movie along with my son if I can fit it into my budget. I love all people, I love & respect all of my fellow Americans, & when an injustice is done to any PEOPLE OF MANKIND, I AM OUTRAGED, REGARDLESS OF THE NATIONALITY OF THE GUILTY OR THE INNOCENT.

codemeister666

For all of you simple minded idiots, saying the n word how many times doesn't make you racist it shows how racially intolerant people were. So if you can't handle the movie don't watch it.

MYthoughts

SPIKE. EVERYBODY GETS OFFENDED OVER MOVIES ONE WAY OR THE OTHER..SO YEA DON'T WATCH IT ..LIKE MOST PEOPLE DONT WATCH WHAT WILL OFFEND THEM.

ioomian

wow! is all I can & will say... this is why folk is randomly shooting up innocent people daily almost. because this mind set(these insensitive comments) are tolerated. smh

ioomian

& I agree QT is excessive in his use of the n word... but the sad part is how well supported he is of our people... smh. every1 including K Hart wants 2b a Reservoir Dog. Totally Sad!

JDOG666

Spike hasn't had a hit in a very long time. So he needs to STFU....

MYthoughts

SPIKE . LOTS OF PEOPLE GET OFFENDED OVER MOVIES. RACIAL OR OTHERWISE. JUST LIKE EVERYONE ELSE ...DONT WATCH IT1

wow!

I agree with Spike! Tarantino has an obsession with black culture....but often offends us

A73

Who cares get over it its just a movie,all spike lees racist movies put down everyone but god forbid u say ****** ,not defending Tarantino cause the majority of his movies are trash like Lee just his right to make them and express himself

gm89

Africans sold each other into slavery because they were blackmailed. If you were told it's either your neighbors or you family, what would you do? Some of you are too ignorant to know the whole truth, don't care to know, or try to avoid it. Get real with yourselves and stop with the bull****

scott

spike you S U C K

Joe

Dear Spike Lee,

Who are you?

Sincerely,
Movie Goers

frankly

Stolen my aas, your ancestors were sold by your own kind for pennies.