Spike Lee

RIPS 'DJANGO'

Movie Is 'Disrespectful to My Ancestors'

12/24/2012 9:35 AM PST BY TMZ STAFF
breaking news

1224-spike-lee-quentin-tarantino
Spike Lee says he REFUSES to see Quentin Tarantino's new flick, "Django Unchained" when it opens tomorrow ... claiming the slavery-revenge movie is "disrespectful to my ancestors."

Lee first went off on "Django" during an interview with Vibe Magazine ... when he was asked for his thoughts on the subject matter and gave the following response:

"I can't speak on it 'cause I'm not gonna see it ... All I'm going to say is that it's disrespectful to my ancestors. That's just me ... I'm not speaking on behalf of anybody else."

He later tweeted about the movie -- "American Slavery Was Not A Sergio Leone Spaghetti Western.It Was A Holocaust.My Ancestors Are Slaves.Stolen From Africa.I Will Honor Them."

"Django" -- which stars Jamie Foxx as a slave who kills slave-owners in the Deep South -- has been drenched in controversy for weeks ... with some critics upset that the n-word is uttered more than 110 times during the movie.

Back in 1997,Lee told the media he had problem with Tarantino's "excessive use of the n-word" in the movie "Jackie Brown." Lee explained, "Let the record state that I never said that he cannot use that word -- I’ve used that word in many of my films -- but I think something is wrong with him."

Diamond Goddess!

NO ONE is more jealous than Spike Lee!!!
No one.
(BTW--I knew his sister. She was very nice, very shy.)

Tommy

To the white people who are long gone and I mean dead gone. I hate that you brought mayhem and hell over here to the United States. It has forever made this wonderful country full of inmates that the tax payers now support by the millions. What was once slaves now are mostly harmful and dangerous if not a menace to society. Of course so many people feel bad for them that they were slaves but they should not have been slaves at all. They should of been left in Africa to live in Africa. You sick fux did not need them and for your simple pleasures and greed the world is a worse place because of it. For them and the people of America, whether it's white, Mexican's etc. they commit so much crime, they are the number one on the top of the food chain for all jails and prisons. Yes they kill not just for the fun of it, but they kill for $5.00 to $20.00 or if you wear the wrong color shirt, hat, wrong jersey. They use up most of the food stamps and make kids they can't afford to raise. Only if you stupid white people never had the dumb idea of bringing these useless people over to the states. WTF were you douche bags thinking??!!!

Tommy

Odie

If Spike is going to be like that, trying to bring the White man down, then I am not going to see any of his movies..... of course, I can not say I every watched Spike Lee 'flick' all the way through before... but not I am really not going to! Take that Spike Lee!

Sylvixen

Spike lee is one of the racist person ever!!! In his eyes only black people count !!!

americannightmare333

it is a movie (fictional) with a taste of truth so what & some africans were stolen ...but most from my history lessons were taded or sold to people...so whatever!!!

Buddy The Elf

Just an idea Spike - but DONT go see it.
Problem solved.

stpetejohnny

I am with Spike on this one....only for different reasons.
Now about your ancestors being stolen from Africa....well if you call being sold by Chieftains
in West Africa to the Spanish and Portuguese sold....

love_love26

So sad how everyone is getting emotional over this Spike Lee could care less what all of you think!

DaveTheRAVE

Really Mr. Lee.... can't ya just let people enjoy their entertainment w/o complaining about every little darn thing??!!
~sheesh~ !
;)

DaveTheRAVE

seriously Spike:
Get A Life/Clue..... ya don't have to whine about EVERYTHANG, do ya?!?!
yikes :(

Hootahsesh

currious spike lee would imply Q was a racist. i literally just read an article where Q blasted the war on drugs as a war on minorities, mainly blacks and a tragic replacement to keep the black man enslaved. but i guess because the n word is in his movies he must be a racist right?...go away spike

dougie fresh

hey spike, one word of history to ya my bro, your ancestors were not stolen from africa. they were sold from africa. by who you ask. a fellow bro. thats right a fellow bro sold your ancestors to the white man. and it was a fellow bro that profitted from your ancestors. damn i hate it when the real truth comes out. oh yeah, merry Christmas.

dougie fresh

hey spike. one word for ya my bro. your ancestors were not stolen from africa. they were sold. and by who you ask? your fellow bros. oh but you knew that didnt you? just stirring the pot. keeping things going.

zipco

Het spike get it right. your ancestors were not STOLEN!!!!!! they were sold by tribe leaders.