Spike Lee

RIPS 'DJANGO'

Movie Is 'Disrespectful to My Ancestors'

12/24/2012 9:35 AM PST BY TMZ STAFF
breaking news

1224-spike-lee-quentin-tarantino
Spike Lee says he REFUSES to see Quentin Tarantino's new flick, "Django Unchained" when it opens tomorrow ... claiming the slavery-revenge movie is "disrespectful to my ancestors."

Lee first went off on "Django" during an interview with Vibe Magazine ... when he was asked for his thoughts on the subject matter and gave the following response:

"I can't speak on it 'cause I'm not gonna see it ... All I'm going to say is that it's disrespectful to my ancestors. That's just me ... I'm not speaking on behalf of anybody else."

He later tweeted about the movie -- "American Slavery Was Not A Sergio Leone Spaghetti Western.It Was A Holocaust.My Ancestors Are Slaves.Stolen From Africa.I Will Honor Them."

"Django" -- which stars Jamie Foxx as a slave who kills slave-owners in the Deep South -- has been drenched in controversy for weeks ... with some critics upset that the n-word is uttered more than 110 times during the movie.

Back in 1997,Lee told the media he had problem with Tarantino's "excessive use of the n-word" in the movie "Jackie Brown." Lee explained, "Let the record state that I never said that he cannot use that word -- I’ve used that word in many of my films -- but I think something is wrong with him."

Anonymous

Wow! All of the negative and racist comments are indeed bad. What happened to just simply stating your opinion without all of the animosity and hostility? Anywho, I have never used the "n" word because I believe it is derogatory and disrespectful. However, I have friends who are racist to other races as well and I don't condone that either in my presence. To me, two wrongs don't make a right and why is it that some (that goes for all races) tend to dwell on the past? Life is about forward movement but it seems as though many people are still stuck in a rut. Live, learn and get over it. GEESH!

Joe

Spike is a friggin Racist... always has been!! Go **** yourself Spike! Oh and Merry Christmas

norvegicusbass

Ahh just read who this Spike is I hadnt heard of him before. I saw about fifteen mins of a film of his once and it was garbage so I dont think much of his supposed talent. QT on the otherhand produces great original movies so maybe thats why spike thinks this way

karen carter

ok spike...did you like alex haleys roots? Im sure the n word was used over 110 times..was that disrespecting your ancestors? get a life!!!

norvegicusbass

BTW why is it that black people who never suffered it have the idea they can lecture white people who never gained from it on what it is to be a decent human being? I never owned slaves neither did my parents nor anyone in my family history why then can a black American who has a comfortable life seek to make me feel I am culpable of some crime?

karen carter

really Spike? Did you see Alex Haleys "Roots"? Im sure they used the n word well over 110 times, was that disrespectful? Get a life!!

Josh

No Spike....YOU are disrespectful to youe ancestors..U BIGOT....

Jai

Usually I don't comment of what actors have to say about one another.... but Spike Lee needs to see his behind down some place. It was cool when he did "She's Gotta Have It, Crooklyn, School Daze and Do The Right Thing". I guess it was okay to promote sex and having children out of wedlock, Pimping and Prostituting, poor ppl struggling.... and let me not forget Jungle Fever... need I say more. Spike... plz get off of Quentin and Tyler and get a life.... jealousy does NOT become of someone like urself!

TurdFerguson

SPIKE, YOUR the disappointment to your people!

jdizzle

so? you think spoke lewd has been respectful to whites? he uses every racial reason to disrespect all whites. and as for using the N word over 100 times in the movie... so? isnt that most gangsta rap albums??

jdizzle

isnt spoke lead on some committe who decides if you are acting black enough or if you are acting black proprerly? didnt he just judge RGIII As not being a real black person be cause RGIII smiles too much to be black and blacks have to be angry and contrite??? they only sposed to smile when they flip da scrip on da white man. right?

jdizzle

spike doesnt think that anyone can characterize blacks but blacks. yet he characterizes everyone the way he wants to.

MAYBELLE JONES

spike lee need to sit his butt down a shout up,stop being a hater. all of your movies was that good, so it was ok to degrade blacks in your movies but you best work out of all was malcom x

Jay

Spike should watch every Tarantino film so he can learn how to make a movie.

Rick B

Tarantino has more movie making ability in his Dudly Doright chin than Spike Lee could ever dream of having.