Spike Lee

RIPS 'DJANGO'

Movie Is 'Disrespectful to My Ancestors'

12/24/2012 9:35 AM PST BY TMZ STAFF
breaking news

1224-spike-lee-quentin-tarantino
Spike Lee says he REFUSES to see Quentin Tarantino's new flick, "Django Unchained" when it opens tomorrow ... claiming the slavery-revenge movie is "disrespectful to my ancestors."

Lee first went off on "Django" during an interview with Vibe Magazine ... when he was asked for his thoughts on the subject matter and gave the following response:

"I can't speak on it 'cause I'm not gonna see it ... All I'm going to say is that it's disrespectful to my ancestors. That's just me ... I'm not speaking on behalf of anybody else."

He later tweeted about the movie -- "American Slavery Was Not A Sergio Leone Spaghetti Western.It Was A Holocaust.My Ancestors Are Slaves.Stolen From Africa.I Will Honor Them."

"Django" -- which stars Jamie Foxx as a slave who kills slave-owners in the Deep South -- has been drenched in controversy for weeks ... with some critics upset that the n-word is uttered more than 110 times during the movie.

Back in 1997,Lee told the media he had problem with Tarantino's "excessive use of the n-word" in the movie "Jackie Brown." Lee explained, "Let the record state that I never said that he cannot use that word -- I’ve used that word in many of my films -- but I think something is wrong with him."

chris ed

This black man says "QT dont listen 2 that weasel looking smurf!! Jackie Brown, my fav, was better than ANY chit he made!!! If Sam J or Jamie thought it was disrsptful, i sure they wouldnt have done it!! EFF that hate n dwarf!! im going to c Django!!!l

Jamie

Spike if you really want to honor your ancestors you should move back to Africa. And, stop living in the country that is guilty of being disrespectful.

Markd2222

Yawn... Get a grip Spike.

laffnbear

Truth

DUDE, EVERYONE'S ANCESTORS ARE MONKEYS... CHECK THE BIOLOGICAL ANTHROPOLOGY YET?? #TRUTH!!

I didn't think it possible, but you are so wrong once more.There is barely a modi*** of truth in your post.
If you picture a tree, all primates have a common ancestor, the trunk.
All surviving species would be branches, one of which would be the great apes, another would be old world monkeys, yet another new world monkeys.
SO..Although humans share a common ancestor, we are NOT descended from apes.
You may want to know what you are talking about before over loading your canary ass with your alligator mouth.

thennnnnn

Look at boxoffice mojo, there is not one other director in american history that has lost more money for his investors than Spike Lee. So, his opinion on american cinema has to be taken with a grain of salt.

john

**** that stupid ****** spike lee! chain that mother****er up and send him to swim with the sharks! ******s like him are whats wrong with America today. You cant tell me that America wouldn't be better off without them. **** all the *******s of America I wish my ancestors would have never brought your black asses over here.

garybuseyisabitch

man fawk spike lee if he misses africa so much tell him he can move his fawkin ace back to that place. i hate how he thinks he can make racially fueled movies but when somebody makes one it's disrespectful. spike lee is a racist fawn

AJ

For the record Spike your people were not stolen from Africa.....Your peoples kings and queens of Africa sold them into slavery to save their ownselves and when they ran out of people to sell then they were taken and brought into slavery. Let him say what he wants because at the end of the day IT TAKES NOTHING FROM WHAT YOU REALLY ARE. AND YOU ARE AN AMERICAN! He can never take that from you and you are successful. No one complains when they make movies about Native Americans and call them savages or when people make jokes about Mexicans and call them illegals, beaners, or make fun how they put a ton of them in one car. Nothing said about that.

MadCharles

Spike Lee is a disgrace to his ancestors . It's blacks like him that brought us back to the days of the N-word.

reader

point of fact, they were not "stolen" they were sold by their own people into slavery.

Muato

"Stolen from Africa"...Spike if that bothers you so much, you do realize that blacks are currently free to go back there, right?

estoy2u

Everyone has a right to an opinion, some opinions are more equal and inportant than others. Some are hot air.

rick

gee what a dickweed ! listen to him makes me think everybodya racist, he was born a idiot he will always be a idiot,just my opion

Mbender

your "ancestors were not stolen from africa they were sold by other africans...get your facts straight before opening your racist mouth spike lee

Mbender

your ancestors were not stolen from africa, they were sold by other africans...get your facts straight before opening your racist mouth spike lee