Spike Lee

RIPS 'DJANGO'

Movie Is 'Disrespectful to My Ancestors'

12/24/2012 9:35 AM PST BY TMZ STAFF
breaking news

1224-spike-lee-quentin-tarantino
Spike Lee says he REFUSES to see Quentin Tarantino's new flick, "Django Unchained" when it opens tomorrow ... claiming the slavery-revenge movie is "disrespectful to my ancestors."

Lee first went off on "Django" during an interview with Vibe Magazine ... when he was asked for his thoughts on the subject matter and gave the following response:

"I can't speak on it 'cause I'm not gonna see it ... All I'm going to say is that it's disrespectful to my ancestors. That's just me ... I'm not speaking on behalf of anybody else."

He later tweeted about the movie -- "American Slavery Was Not A Sergio Leone Spaghetti Western.It Was A Holocaust.My Ancestors Are Slaves.Stolen From Africa.I Will Honor Them."

"Django" -- which stars Jamie Foxx as a slave who kills slave-owners in the Deep South -- has been drenched in controversy for weeks ... with some critics upset that the n-word is uttered more than 110 times during the movie.

Back in 1997,Lee told the media he had problem with Tarantino's "excessive use of the n-word" in the movie "Jackie Brown." Lee explained, "Let the record state that I never said that he cannot use that word -- I’ve used that word in many of my films -- but I think something is wrong with him."

UGH

Why is this moron always saying some smart ass comment about blacks/black history/racism/whites etc...he needs to get over it. THIS is why we dont progress forward as a society because people like this fool always bust out with something negative.

lakerschampslakers@yahoo.com

Dumb ASS

Buck Runner

For ALL of you angry white posters, America is a black and brown country! It's OURS you punks!!! Get the f*** out if you're so angry, go shoot up malls and schools in Norway, Demark or Findland if you want to live in a white country. Quit yer damned blubbering and simpering about the black and brown and Muslim people are scaring you. Like I said, if we scare you.....GET THE F*** OUT of OUR COUNTRY!!! ROFLMAO, punks!

sal

Spike, SHUT THE **** UP! Enough with the ancestor crap. Its old crap. Grow balls and get on with your pitiful life.

D'SHAWN

I don't know about the spike lee thing, as a black women I'm not going to see this film because I'm tired of being reminded about slavery. Not saying forget the country's history, but how do you move on if you keep reliving the past in movies and books. I mean let it go it happenend....NEXT

Mike

spike lee hasn't been relavent since........umm NEVER!

John

Saw Jamie Foxx in an interview for Django and he was asked about what he thought Spike Lee's reaction would be to the movie. He responded that Spike had told him he wasn't going to say anything negative about the movie. There's a saying in spanish that sums it up, "Entre el dicho y el hecho, hay un gran trecho" Shut up Spike and watch the movie before you cast judgement.

Weather

Like anyone cares, Mr. Lee, just as people don't care that I won't see it because I don't like Jamie Foxx

ke

Lol. Stolen? They were brought over by the Portuguese and Spaniards from African traders, who happened to be black. So put your arrogant bull**** somewhere else.

Jove

shut the fkk up lol. what a sensitive dude. it disrespects your ancestors? lol they sent a letter saying "hey Spike, hey man i dont like how this black dude all of a sudden gets this idea to fight back against a guy that got his wife kidnapped and has to kill a whole bunch of people to get her back, and I say this cus its in the slave times, we never think about this sort of thing when it happens to us, so dont see the movie. Its a just a big lie, we never did that" go **** yourself Spike, stop teaching kids and adults on being sensitive and embrace everything thats around you. You idiot.

I gotsa know

Yeah, they came from Africa. Feel free to return there and stay permenantly. I am sure the millions you have made in this country, gives you the right to say what you want and do what you want as well. Thank Abraham Lincoln for that, he was a white guy, btw.
Hey Spike...did you see Roots?
I hope this movie gets an award, just to piss you off more.

Doug Robert

Spike Lee has always been a racist malcontent who makes his living off of racism. Spike Lee is not taken seriously by most people as we can see the obvious, that he is a racist. "Ancestors?" "Disrespect?" What a bad joke Spike Lee is.

B Erturk

thanks for wasting an hour of my time, not recocniziongf my email!!!

Nana

U haven't seen da movie yet u hve a problem with, jus soo stupid. And why critics they use the N word soo much? This is slavery time dumbasses, that word was prob used a million times a day during that time

francis

Quentin made so many good movies. Spike made ummmm???maybe 1 good movie. Figures....

Previous 15 Comments | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | Most Recent | Next 15 Comments