Spike Lee

RIPS 'DJANGO'

Movie Is 'Disrespectful to My Ancestors'

12/24/2012 9:35 AM PST BY TMZ STAFF
breaking news

1224-spike-lee-quentin-tarantino
Spike Lee says he REFUSES to see Quentin Tarantino's new flick, "Django Unchained" when it opens tomorrow ... claiming the slavery-revenge movie is "disrespectful to my ancestors."

Lee first went off on "Django" during an interview with Vibe Magazine ... when he was asked for his thoughts on the subject matter and gave the following response:

"I can't speak on it 'cause I'm not gonna see it ... All I'm going to say is that it's disrespectful to my ancestors. That's just me ... I'm not speaking on behalf of anybody else."

He later tweeted about the movie -- "American Slavery Was Not A Sergio Leone Spaghetti Western.It Was A Holocaust.My Ancestors Are Slaves.Stolen From Africa.I Will Honor Them."

"Django" -- which stars Jamie Foxx as a slave who kills slave-owners in the Deep South -- has been drenched in controversy for weeks ... with some critics upset that the n-word is uttered more than 110 times during the movie.

Back in 1997,Lee told the media he had problem with Tarantino's "excessive use of the n-word" in the movie "Jackie Brown." Lee explained, "Let the record state that I never said that he cannot use that word -- I’ve used that word in many of my films -- but I think something is wrong with him."

Jolly Joe

Spike Lee is the most racist mother****er of my time. He and Michael Jordan are the two biggest douche-bags EVER, I hope Jaime Foxx kicks your puny black ass.......shut your mouth. You are a TERRIBLE example for black youth........racist.

lil milt jr

I agree with you Spike. Spike spoke for himself like he said, so why are you all mad with your dumb racists comments. Slavery was not a joke at all. Making a false slavery tale that will be seen for many years after we are gone will confuse the minds of our kids. Spike only makes realistic movies not fairy tales. So show some respect for our ancestors so comments like "Quentin doesn't care" doesn't exist anymore.

Kevin

spike lee nobody cares what you think bro

Alli

So..a movie about the actual holocaust wasn't offensive..but this is? I can't believe that type of double standard.

Diego Sanchez

I wonder what Spike Lee thought about Manderlay...

Jolly Joe

Spike Lee is one of the most racist mother****er's of my time.....I hope Jaime Foxx kicks your puny little ass !!

Mike

Spike lee should start his own afro-american themed KKK ... POS racist.

Jay

Yeah same way how the rappers are always dissing the White people in their songs, and im not white by the way

Dave

Spike obviously carries a deep resentment of white people. Funny though, he is a wealthy man because of the deep pocket white money he didn't have any problems taking.

toonsies

Spike, learn the history of your own race.

toonsies

History lesson, we didn't steal the African's that were brought here to be slaves. They were traded by their own people. I do no condone it at all, but at least get the history lesson down .

Melody

I meant to say being the first...and line 18 are not our1 lol

slick

spike lee is a racist and his movies compare to a high class students work

Buck Runner

For ALL of you angry white posters, America is a black and brown country! It's OURS you punks!!! Get the f*** out if you're so angry, go shoot up malls and schools in Norway, Demark or Findland if you want to live in a white country. Quit yer damned blubbering and simpering about the black and brown and Muslim people are scaring you. Like I said, if we scare you.....GET THE F*** OUT of OUR COUNTRY!!! ROFLMAO, punks!

gildo9

Oh Spike you Racist Ass , you suffered not one second from slavery, so Zip it!

Previous 15 Comments | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | Most Recent | Next 15 Comments