Spike Lee

RIPS 'DJANGO'

Movie Is 'Disrespectful to My Ancestors'

12/24/2012 9:35 AM PST BY TMZ STAFF
breaking news

1224-spike-lee-quentin-tarantino
Spike Lee says he REFUSES to see Quentin Tarantino's new flick, "Django Unchained" when it opens tomorrow ... claiming the slavery-revenge movie is "disrespectful to my ancestors."

Lee first went off on "Django" during an interview with Vibe Magazine ... when he was asked for his thoughts on the subject matter and gave the following response:

"I can't speak on it 'cause I'm not gonna see it ... All I'm going to say is that it's disrespectful to my ancestors. That's just me ... I'm not speaking on behalf of anybody else."

He later tweeted about the movie -- "American Slavery Was Not A Sergio Leone Spaghetti Western.It Was A Holocaust.My Ancestors Are Slaves.Stolen From Africa.I Will Honor Them."

"Django" -- which stars Jamie Foxx as a slave who kills slave-owners in the Deep South -- has been drenched in controversy for weeks ... with some critics upset that the n-word is uttered more than 110 times during the movie.

Back in 1997,Lee told the media he had problem with Tarantino's "excessive use of the n-word" in the movie "Jackie Brown." Lee explained, "Let the record state that I never said that he cannot use that word -- I’ve used that word in many of my films -- but I think something is wrong with him."

Buck Runner

Okay, good, at least now people seem to settling down and to be making comments relevant to the article, either criticizing Spike or QT or both. As long as racist trolls don't post racist crap I won't have to respond, but when you start to attack blacks, Latinos, Asians, Muslims or any minority or liberal whites even. I'll have to respond in kind. Merry Christmas.

some guy

Wonder how Spike would've felt if 'Django' was directed by someone like Tyler Perry. A little ignorant of him to condemn a movie that he didn't see.

CyndiChainsaW

I just wish Quentin would wash his hair :(

lizzimmer

So he hasn't seen it, doesn't plan on seeing it, but knows it's disrespectful to his ancestors. So not only is he a whiny moron, he's a psychic to boot.

Knutz

spike needs to sit down and shut up , I notice the only time he criticizes stuff is when its better than anything he's done

andrew learmonth

waa, waa, what better way for a has been no talent so called celebritycalled spike lee to get his name in the news by claiming...gasp...prejudice or as he says prejudis

gary

Spike Lee is a bastard black man who like Obama does not know who his father is!!!!

me real

Typical reverse racist

hmmm

Spike got issues, needs milk. However, if I pay Peter to get take his brother's Paul's little sis and bring her to me, then who is the thief?

Hank Diesel

Spike, you production company is 40 acres & a mule... So shut you your mouth!

when's the last time you made a good movie Spike? Oh yeah, that's right... NEVER! He Got Game was your best effort and that's all! Quit being a hater & go back to being Mars Blackmon & riding Jordan's coattails...

stevzak

I w0uldn't watch,If you payed for the tickit!!

kewesaba

spike needs to educate himself on his ancestors! The africans themselves were the ones who sold africans to the english and americans!!! they werent stolen!read a history book, and stop trying to play the victim!!!

Richard W Elliott

If it makes Spike unhappy, then by definition, it makes me happy...I don't give a damn about the content.

Boom

o,but its ok 4 jaimie foxx to rant about the best people on earth,the white?!! c'mon man...thats what was B.S! I don't think its ok for blacks ti diss whites in ANY way

fred d

Spike: I'm pretty sure your ancestors would not be very proud of you

Previous 15 Comments | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | Most Recent | Next 15 Comments