Spike Lee

RIPS 'DJANGO'

Movie Is 'Disrespectful to My Ancestors'

12/24/2012 9:35 AM PST BY TMZ STAFF
breaking news

1224-spike-lee-quentin-tarantino
Spike Lee says he REFUSES to see Quentin Tarantino's new flick, "Django Unchained" when it opens tomorrow ... claiming the slavery-revenge movie is "disrespectful to my ancestors."

Lee first went off on "Django" during an interview with Vibe Magazine ... when he was asked for his thoughts on the subject matter and gave the following response:

"I can't speak on it 'cause I'm not gonna see it ... All I'm going to say is that it's disrespectful to my ancestors. That's just me ... I'm not speaking on behalf of anybody else."

He later tweeted about the movie -- "American Slavery Was Not A Sergio Leone Spaghetti Western.It Was A Holocaust.My Ancestors Are Slaves.Stolen From Africa.I Will Honor Them."

"Django" -- which stars Jamie Foxx as a slave who kills slave-owners in the Deep South -- has been drenched in controversy for weeks ... with some critics upset that the n-word is uttered more than 110 times during the movie.

Back in 1997,Lee told the media he had problem with Tarantino's "excessive use of the n-word" in the movie "Jackie Brown." Lee explained, "Let the record state that I never said that he cannot use that word -- I’ve used that word in many of my films -- but I think something is wrong with him."

Tracy Ridgely-Guthrie

Opinions are like butt holes.. everybody has one and most of them stink!! Quentin has creative license to do as he pleases, just as Spike does, I wonder though if Spike is just drumming up vocal nonsense cause he is bored first Tyler Perry and now this... Please go make another movie so we can insult you!

airplanefan

I see white people on here are still promoting that "african all sold people into slavery" bullsh-t false meme. What a JOKE! that meme has been thoroughly debunked and disproved repeatedly. African were STOLEN at gunpoint and terrorized by europeans who believed in the racist ideology of white supremacy and were lusting after the wealth that's born from stolen labor. The type of slavery inflicted upon the africans was CHATTEL slavery and was NOT the same type of slavery existent in africa today. The enslaved people were reduced to below the status of animals based on a bulls-t reason like skin color...to the point that even after the 'slavery' ended - the ideology behind it (e.g., skin color inferiority) remained to continually oppress the stolen africans. get your f-cking facts right.

Mary

Spike, shut up you racist little pygmy.

kilrclown

Who cares what this clown has to say anyway!?

Catherine Turley

oh please. has even one of spike's films been respectful. and the reason jamie foxx wasn't given an award nomination is because he is miscast.

cdm

****e Kinte would have loved Django. He may have gotten ****e, Kizzy and Belle back to Africa, had he been allowed to use a gun, Spike. Cheer up!

I AM DJANGO!

LISTEN YOU STUPID DUMB****! YOU HAVE ABSOLUTELY NO IDEA WHAT A HOLOCAUST IS.. THE DEFINITION OF HOLOCAUST IS.."Great destruction resulting in the extensive loss of life, especially by fire"
WERE ANY OF YOU BURNT AT THE STAKE? YOU STUPID BRAINLESS ROCK...LET ME TELL YOU WHAT A REAL GENOCIDE IS...WHEN THE SPANIARDS CAME TO MY ISLAND, THEY EXTERMINATED ALL THE NATIVE INDIANS....YES STUPID LITTLE CRITTER....ALL MY NATIVE PEOPLE WERE EXTERMINATED...NONE OF YOU WERE EXTERMINATED...BUT MY NATIVE PEOPLE WERE....AND WE DO NOT HOLD THE GRUDGE AGAINST THE SPANISH CROWN BECAUSE OF THAT....WE LEARNT TO MOVE ON AND LEARN FROM HISTORY....WE MOVED ON AS A COUNTRY, NOT AS STUPID INDIVIDUALS LIKE YOURSELF.....I WILL SUGGEST YOU, READ A LITTLE BIT ABOUT HISTORY FROM OTHER COUNTRIES, LEARN HOW OTHER COUNTRIES WERE ABLE TO GATHER AND REGROUP THEMSELVES AS ONE AFTER A REAL GENOCIDE, UNLIKE YOU, STUPID MORON, WHO DOES A TRUE DISSERVICE TO THIS COUNTRY WITH YOUR SENSELESS BASHING AND RACIAL DIVISIONAL ATTITUDE...

STUPID FREAKING MORON.....

wendi

ummmm jamie was a hero...a white man gives his life because he does not believe in slavery and what the bad guys are doing to slaves...he references African American accomplishments in the movie (e.g. The Three Musketeers")...etc....etc....If he would actually see the movie he would understand the intent...sounds like spike lee is jealous and ignorant...this coming from an African American woman.

SNAFU

Wonder where Spike would be if his 'ancestors' had been left back in Africa?

WowReally

Spike Lee hates ALL Tarantino movies!

If Tarantino directed a movie called "Africa: The Beautiful" with an all-Black cast and Black producers and Black writers, Spike Lee would STILL complain!

And if he hates the "N-Word" so much, then why does he use it in his own movies?

Courtney

I heard that this movie is very violent and I think after the tragedy in Newton, people just need a break from seeing a lot of violence, especially at Christmas.

Speer

Spike Lee needs to get over it. First of all, this is a movie; PURE ENTERTAINMENT. Anyone who seriously believes that what happens in a movie is real, is out of there freaking minds. Do we HONESTLY believe "reality TV" is reality? I mean, come on! Spike Lee should just mind his own business and make more movies. Once he makes a "bit hit" (again), i'm sure some white person will be hating on his movie. After all, Spike Lee ONLY makes movies about black people.

Speer

Spike Lee's just mad because he hasn't made a good movie in YEARS. He needs to just mind his own business and stop using this movie to gain attention. Like he's the only black person out there. This movie was awesome! and that's EXACTLY what it is; a movie. PURE ENTERTAINMENT! Great job Tarantino!!

spokenword

Spike just wishes he can make a movie that good. What a great movie. The African-Americans were cheering in our theater.

taih588

umm isnt spikes wife white exactly and he talking about disrespecting his ancestors when he's disrespecting his great grandmother she went through all that abuse and torture from white people and he marries one. but however i dont think the movie is racist or disresptful though

Previous 15 Comments | 37 | 38 | 39 | 40 | 41 | 42 | 43 | Most Recent | Next 15 Comments