Spike Lee

RIPS 'DJANGO'

Movie Is 'Disrespectful to My Ancestors'

12/24/2012 9:35 AM PST BY TMZ STAFF
breaking news

1224-spike-lee-quentin-tarantino
Spike Lee says he REFUSES to see Quentin Tarantino's new flick, "Django Unchained" when it opens tomorrow ... claiming the slavery-revenge movie is "disrespectful to my ancestors."

Lee first went off on "Django" during an interview with Vibe Magazine ... when he was asked for his thoughts on the subject matter and gave the following response:

"I can't speak on it 'cause I'm not gonna see it ... All I'm going to say is that it's disrespectful to my ancestors. That's just me ... I'm not speaking on behalf of anybody else."

He later tweeted about the movie -- "American Slavery Was Not A Sergio Leone Spaghetti Western.It Was A Holocaust.My Ancestors Are Slaves.Stolen From Africa.I Will Honor Them."

"Django" -- which stars Jamie Foxx as a slave who kills slave-owners in the Deep South -- has been drenched in controversy for weeks ... with some critics upset that the n-word is uttered more than 110 times during the movie.

Back in 1997,Lee told the media he had problem with Tarantino's "excessive use of the n-word" in the movie "Jackie Brown." Lee explained, "Let the record state that I never said that he cannot use that word -- I’ve used that word in many of my films -- but I think something is wrong with him."

the truth

Dude this guys a total Dickens retard. First of all how I'd film of slavery in a movie any more disrespectful than half the other **** out there for example a movie of cowboys and Indians. Plus you ****tard slavery wasn't. Genocide. Indeed slavery waas. Bad. But genocide is deliberate Murder. I'm sick of ignorant people. Viewing history out of context the the dumb **** that spat out of this guys mouth is unfair to history and the Jewish victims of the Holocaust

dallascowboy15

I can't even comment. White ppl yall will neva know what it is like to be black. This will always be white america. Im just glad i went on and accepted that as a true fact.

alida rose

seen your films Spike. have heard previous comments you have made and you certainly appear to be a racist. but wait that only applies to whites putting those of color in a negative light.

BlackGirl

Spike...u just mad u not gettin any piece of this prize winning pie. Jealous. And becuz u wont see it let me advise, DJANGO UNCHAINED WAS AHH-MAZE-ZIIING!!! I'm going to see it again

fuku imwitkatt

To each his own but as an actress director

YAHUSHUAHRULES

Tarantino is a hack that has contributed nothing to advance the culture; in fact he is part of the effort to corrupt and rot us:

Do you know who theFabians (with logo of wolf in sheep's clothing), SDS, Frankfurt School and Willi Munzenberg, John Dewey , Antonio Gramsci, Mattechine Society, Alinksi (who dedicated his book "Rules for Radicals to Lucifer), which Obama taught in Chicago for years, Committees of Correspondence are? Connect all the dots that allowed Obama to waltz into the White House...

All part of the Agenda to create an America so corrupt it stinks and to
drive this culture in a direction designed to destroy it. If you don’t know all
this you need to find out! I have watched it 12X to absorb all that is in it!

This is the most comprehensive, best movie I have seen pulling all this
together. Watch it. Share it. Arrange a showing in church, groups, clubs, with friends or family. Everyone who loves America needs to see this movie,
It is free on line for the moment

If America goes down, the free world will go down with it and it will be finished for a

Daniel Perkins

I personally despise the word even when used properly(before it gained a neg. or racial connotation). Not having seen the movie yet,and I will, having seen Q.T.’s other movies I just can’t see him using it negativity but more in the historical content of the times.Its todays entertainers (mostly rappers)who glorify the word and allow the youth to lose touch with its meaning! today its used in every way having lost its value as a word as well.

Daniel Perkins

Daniel Perkins

Sab'Anur

First off, for all of you 'history buffs,' Africans were both sold and stolen from Africa and enslaved. The Africans that were sold, were sold as servants, not slaves. It was expected and bargained, that the Africans would be given a fair wage, and treated as a human, not worse than animals. Caucasians (that includes Jews) enslaved Africans; mutilated them; raped them; sodomized them; burned them; lynched them; and instituted a plan and method to eradicate them after the initial HOLOCAUST of slavery. Africans were subjected to terrorist acts by Caucasians (this includes Jews). The homes, churches, and businesses were burned, and bombed, often with the "freed" Africans inside them. Caucasians (this includes Jews) are not receptive to, nor want to take responsibility for the atrocities that they're ancestors committed against HUMAN BEINGS FROM AFRICA. Caucasians (Jews too) are living well today because of "that old slave money," as well as the stolen Native land that was taken. Neither African, nor their ancestors were given reparations, as the Jews were who instituted slavery. The Jewish holocaust happened in Nazi Germany, not America, yet the Jews in America saw to it that all Jews were paid restitution, as well as given land (in America and the new Israel) and other royalties. It is ironic how Caucasians (including Jews) speak with a great amount of venom, and vigorously defend and rationalize the condition of slavery that they're ancestors instituted upon Africans. I believe this is why Mr. Lee is rightly upset, that a descendant of the authors of American slavery has the audacity to make a mockery of slavery while attempting to create a "hero slave."

Mr. President

Asiatic Africans were NOT slaves as slave is a nationality for Slovakia. Asiatic Africans in the North Gate (Al Morocco akaNorth America) were and still are prisoners of war (POW). Algamated people aka Romans /Europeans are NOT Americans. They are naturalized foreigners aka n*****s.

Urmom

I am soo sick of hearing about this. Spike Lee needs to chill the F out. I am so sick of the backwards racism that goes on in this world! Its ok when Spike or other African Americans make movies being racist towards caucasian's and other races, but the minute a white guy makes a film with African American actors, who clearly had NO PROBLEM with the script because they acted in the movie, hes a racist. Its a movie, its art. Stop the hate, its getting old. You dont hear Caucasian directors commenting on how racist your movies are do you ? Im sorry but you make your race look bad and hateful and spiteful. Why don't you start doing something positive with your life.

acelandow

It was not necessary for Quentin Tarantino to allow the "N" word to be used so many times for whatever message he was trying to get across, if any, in his movie Django. I was looking forward to seeing the movie until I heard the much appreciated comments from Spike Lee whom I respect as an African-American director.

MY BROTHERS AND SISTERS, LETS NOT ALLOW OTHERS (Quentin Tarantino and company) TO DISREPECT US (African-Americans) FOR A FEW PIECES OF BREAD (what we hunger to see) .

Buck Runner

How moronic is it to say your [insert relative] was a German Jew who survived the holocaust and thus black people should not complain about slavery. Really? As if Jews never accuse anyone of antisemitism? Really? Tell that to Israel, if the word Jew is said with the wrong inflection they claim antisemitism. Stop sounding stupid.

jonnyb

i remember when i was spike lee and actually made a quality movie...oh wait. i'm spike lee, that never happened.

Previous 15 Comments | 40 | 41 | 42 | 43 | 44 | 45 | 46 | Most Recent | Next 15 Comments