Spike Lee

RIPS 'DJANGO'

Movie Is 'Disrespectful to My Ancestors'

12/24/2012 9:35 AM PST BY TMZ STAFF
breaking news

1224-spike-lee-quentin-tarantino
Spike Lee says he REFUSES to see Quentin Tarantino's new flick, "Django Unchained" when it opens tomorrow ... claiming the slavery-revenge movie is "disrespectful to my ancestors."

Lee first went off on "Django" during an interview with Vibe Magazine ... when he was asked for his thoughts on the subject matter and gave the following response:

"I can't speak on it 'cause I'm not gonna see it ... All I'm going to say is that it's disrespectful to my ancestors. That's just me ... I'm not speaking on behalf of anybody else."

He later tweeted about the movie -- "American Slavery Was Not A Sergio Leone Spaghetti Western.It Was A Holocaust.My Ancestors Are Slaves.Stolen From Africa.I Will Honor Them."

"Django" -- which stars Jamie Foxx as a slave who kills slave-owners in the Deep South -- has been drenched in controversy for weeks ... with some critics upset that the n-word is uttered more than 110 times during the movie.

Back in 1997,Lee told the media he had problem with Tarantino's "excessive use of the n-word" in the movie "Jackie Brown." Lee explained, "Let the record state that I never said that he cannot use that word -- I’ve used that word in many of my films -- but I think something is wrong with him."

MarcaR

Spike forgets the Arabs

Hype

I think spikes nits but for you fools who keep yell race card are usually racist quick to say those words to throw off the fact they ate truely racist a holes. Now for those dummies that day slavery was nowhere near hollocaust are dam fools. Blacks were fortunes , beat, hung , breeder like dogs. I prefer the gas chamber. I hate when we act like slavery was so long ago.. Please the mental and physical affects of slavery still goes on til today.

M

Could you have found a photo of Lee with nostrils EVEN MORE Flared than this!?? Dang! He could snort a bowling ball through each one of those!

bitchfistcomics.com

If you're really mad Spike, why not tweet Tarantino's home address to your boys? It can't be some elderly couple's twice, can it?

Gita

OMG.... Why is he not on all the rappers and black people that say the "N" word. Playing the racist card. Stop hating and give back to the community and the hungry people of Africa with all the money you make. Always feeling entitled and angry.

Jenn

Slaves and their infants were never thrown into a gas chamber or medically experimented on...quit being a drama queen Spike. Also isn't half his ancestry made in China?

roll3567

Difference between the two...ones relevant the others not. Spikes depiction of other races in his moves have always been rife with stereotypes and hate. He is the worst kind if hypocrite.

tgrfan42069

if not for slavery he wouldn't be able to make movies and profiting off of it.spike is nothing but a racist piece of ****.

Lucky_130

I can hardly wait till tomorrow to see it, ought to be a good one!

chumean

How come people don't make as many racist comments on facebook? Hmmmm

Parker

First of all...spike is always bitching about something, he has that....its a black thing attitude...phk him...tired of his damn racism......two..its a phkn movie...three you dont portray other races in a good way in your crappy movies...so why the phk even complain...Quientin dont give a damn what a crappy director like you says!

kola

spike is noy making movies anymore so he is mad as hell at anybody who does. get a life and please don't make any more movies your days are over. he always say his ancestors, but where are you when everyone needs you. we all stand along. first it was tyler perry now this, go out a buy a ice white rolls and find russell. i'm just saying

773to702

I like quentin"s movies but i also respect spike lee as a pioneer

Parker

This movie will make more money then all his crappy movies put together....hes the biggest racist azzwipe out there.....bet he lives in a mansion...all the while complaining about the blackmans plight..hypocrite!

773to702

To the person saying holocaust was worse than the middle passage/transatlantic slave trade you just an idiot