Spike Lee

RIPS 'DJANGO'

Movie Is 'Disrespectful to My Ancestors'

12/24/2012 9:35 AM PST BY TMZ STAFF
breaking news

1224-spike-lee-quentin-tarantino
Spike Lee says he REFUSES to see Quentin Tarantino's new flick, "Django Unchained" when it opens tomorrow ... claiming the slavery-revenge movie is "disrespectful to my ancestors."

Lee first went off on "Django" during an interview with Vibe Magazine ... when he was asked for his thoughts on the subject matter and gave the following response:

"I can't speak on it 'cause I'm not gonna see it ... All I'm going to say is that it's disrespectful to my ancestors. That's just me ... I'm not speaking on behalf of anybody else."

He later tweeted about the movie -- "American Slavery Was Not A Sergio Leone Spaghetti Western.It Was A Holocaust.My Ancestors Are Slaves.Stolen From Africa.I Will Honor Them."

"Django" -- which stars Jamie Foxx as a slave who kills slave-owners in the Deep South -- has been drenched in controversy for weeks ... with some critics upset that the n-word is uttered more than 110 times during the movie.

Back in 1997,Lee told the media he had problem with Tarantino's "excessive use of the n-word" in the movie "Jackie Brown." Lee explained, "Let the record state that I never said that he cannot use that word -- I’ve used that word in many of my films -- but I think something is wrong with him."

furthestshore

Oh Spike, I used to respect you.

Funny he should refer to slavery as a Holocaust while saying it was wrong to make this movie.

Quentin's last movie was about two Jews machine-gunning down Hitler.

He writes bloody revenge fantasies, Spike. They're not highbrow, but there's room for them too.

TLAW

It's so ridiculous how they are pointing out the total number of times the use of the "N-WORD" is used in the film, as opposed to what? the number of times they actually used the actual term during the time in which the film is based.

Beauty

Spike Lee needs to shut his irrelevant hole

Not_its_Business

wow. wish blk ppl would stfu about slavery...there were irish, indian, chinese, japanese, hell even white slaves...don't hear us bitching.

blk ppl today have no idea of the stuggles their "ancestors" faced, and that those "ancestors" would probably be ashamed of their entitled behavior.

let it go.

CindyT

Whiner...Plus he doesn't even know history. His own ancestors sold his ancestors! How screwed up is that? And they still do it today.

Danielle123

It's sad that when someone voices their opinions in today's society, it's automatically considered to be "hating". Grow up people.

Lucky_130

I remember this Disney movie as a kid called "Songs of the South" it was about a happy slave, and they based the ride Splash Mountain after it. Disney has put this movie permanently in there vault because unlike like QT Disney really cares about what folks think.

dennis

Not a lot of love for Spike here. I couldn't be happier.

JenniferErinn31

The African American community isn't the only RACE to have been Enslaved

Nikkcolle

Interesting - I've been watching one of the biggest TV sagas all weekend on BET "Roots" - The N word was used way more than that.

Twolfe

Time to move on, aka, grow up. The rest of the African-American population is.

Louis

Great Film!! I saw it Last Night. Very Violent and they do use the N word a lot. Everything semmed realisitic until the very end when samuel jackson calls Django a Mother F-er that sounded more like something they would say now a days. I guess the film skates on a fine line where they push the envelope on being racist and realistic to the times. I really enjoyed it and was entertained the whole 2 hours and 40 minutes :) . I am a white Jewish person so I can understand the sensitivity of a Holocaust and Prejudice subject matter so i don't see any way there won't be some controversy surrounding this film.

Rob

Spike....I refuse to see Tarantino movies and yours too as a matter of fact and his nothing to do with racism.

773to702

And blacks WERE experimented on fool ala tuskegee experiment you are ignorant

J. Louis Mills

Spike Lee should be ashamed of himself. He calls this disrespect, but had NO PROBLEM tweeting the wrong address of George Zimmerman.