Spike Lee

RIPS 'DJANGO'

Movie Is 'Disrespectful to My Ancestors'

12/24/2012 9:35 AM PST BY TMZ STAFF
breaking news

1224-spike-lee-quentin-tarantino
Spike Lee says he REFUSES to see Quentin Tarantino's new flick, "Django Unchained" when it opens tomorrow ... claiming the slavery-revenge movie is "disrespectful to my ancestors."

Lee first went off on "Django" during an interview with Vibe Magazine ... when he was asked for his thoughts on the subject matter and gave the following response:

"I can't speak on it 'cause I'm not gonna see it ... All I'm going to say is that it's disrespectful to my ancestors. That's just me ... I'm not speaking on behalf of anybody else."

He later tweeted about the movie -- "American Slavery Was Not A Sergio Leone Spaghetti Western.It Was A Holocaust.My Ancestors Are Slaves.Stolen From Africa.I Will Honor Them."

"Django" -- which stars Jamie Foxx as a slave who kills slave-owners in the Deep South -- has been drenched in controversy for weeks ... with some critics upset that the n-word is uttered more than 110 times during the movie.

Back in 1997,Lee told the media he had problem with Tarantino's "excessive use of the n-word" in the movie "Jackie Brown." Lee explained, "Let the record state that I never said that he cannot use that word -- I’ve used that word in many of my films -- but I think something is wrong with him."

SunTzu77

Slavery was "a holocaust?" Give me a break. Slavery is evil - period. But, it's not even remotely close to 6 million Jews dying in Nazi controlled Germany. Also, slavery was a very complex issue. There were free black men who owned slaves in Louisiana. See "Antoine Dubuclet."

mkane84

wow... at this point i just read your comments to see for myself how ignorant some of you trashy people are

Keenyada

Hey, Spike........I just checked in with your ancestors.....they don't have a problem with Quentin. They felt pretty disrespected by you, though.

macko

Spike is so full of ****. His movies have been littered with derogatory portrayal of African Americans. Just watch Jungle Fever, School Daze, She's Gotta Have or go back and read the controversy surrounding those movies. He is just jealous and sorry that he didn't make this movie. Sit down Spike.

Phoenicks

Isn't this the same Spike Lee who capitalized on race relations throughout his film career, most notably with "Jungle Fever"?

Lola

Other africans sold their "brothers" to the slave traders from all over the world, not just from America. The slave traders did not have to go out and round up slaves. They were offered for sale by other africans who captured them. Yet we hear no complaints against those sellers? They seem to be the root of the problem. Slavery exists and still does, all over the world. America is the only nation in history who fought a war to free the slaves. No other nation did that.

Emanuel

The hypocicy is so strong here by Spike

mrbidmike

Spike Lee needs to check his history, most slaves were traded for beads and guns and such. He probably can't find Africa on a map. He is irrelevamt

Booksoup101

Spike is one jealous MoFo.....LOL. And no one stole slaves from Africa. Blacks in Africa rounded up other blacks and then sold them to slavers. You want to lame someone for slavery, blame your beloved ancestors.

david

Yeah he also needs to recognized that they were enslaved by other Africans before they were ever sold to whites. Slavery was their method of dealing with inter tribal conflict for millenia.

LBJ

The title picture of this article looks like perfect cover for the movie

SilkyG

Wonder how Spike feels about Roots. LOL...he probably he hasn't seen that either. #OURstorymustbetold

JohnnyRotten

Spike. You're irrelevant. Your movies are irrelevant. Your opinion is irrelevant. You're just jealous that no one has seen one of your movies since the 80's. Give up the "everyone needs to respect me" bull**** already. We were tired of the P.C. rhetoric like 20years when you were semi-relevant.

perp walk

Spike who?? never heard of him

Rafaelle Zuccaro

Hey Spike I agree with you, BUT you are just as bad as Quentin --Yoe and the rest of the Hollywood and TV are all to blame for the Filthyest , Dirtyest Moraless crap in EVERYTHING you guys do!! No wonder this country is in a S__T HOLE- All you "STARS" and creators of this filth are to blame- You people have NO SOULS- all you people care about is attention and MONEY!!!!! THATS ALL!!!!