Spike Lee

RIPS 'DJANGO'

Movie Is 'Disrespectful to My Ancestors'

12/24/2012 9:35 AM PST BY TMZ STAFF
breaking news

1224-spike-lee-quentin-tarantino
Spike Lee says he REFUSES to see Quentin Tarantino's new flick, "Django Unchained" when it opens tomorrow ... claiming the slavery-revenge movie is "disrespectful to my ancestors."

Lee first went off on "Django" during an interview with Vibe Magazine ... when he was asked for his thoughts on the subject matter and gave the following response:

"I can't speak on it 'cause I'm not gonna see it ... All I'm going to say is that it's disrespectful to my ancestors. That's just me ... I'm not speaking on behalf of anybody else."

He later tweeted about the movie -- "American Slavery Was Not A Sergio Leone Spaghetti Western.It Was A Holocaust.My Ancestors Are Slaves.Stolen From Africa.I Will Honor Them."

"Django" -- which stars Jamie Foxx as a slave who kills slave-owners in the Deep South -- has been drenched in controversy for weeks ... with some critics upset that the n-word is uttered more than 110 times during the movie.

Back in 1997,Lee told the media he had problem with Tarantino's "excessive use of the n-word" in the movie "Jackie Brown." Lee explained, "Let the record state that I never said that he cannot use that word -- I’ve used that word in many of my films -- but I think something is wrong with him."

Keenyada

Hey Spike......I just communicated with your ancestors. They don't have a problem with Quentin. They're pretty embarassed by you, though.

Mr Rod

Spike is barely fit to shine shoes, let alone comment on this movie!

bukibby

Get the **** over it spike lee! It's a movie and it's not like the word wasn't really sed during slavery times.

lisam

i think he hates everything,,unless he makes it....

comicjc

Spike needs to get that chip off his shoulder.

tenley

Tarantino isn't what some of you are making him out to be. He uses the n-word bazillions of times not because he's anti-racist but because he thinks its cool and he's into appropriating/exploiting basically anyone he can to make a buck.

BB not bb

Jackie Brown is a really cool movie. I don't remember it for hearing the N word but for the powerful black heroinne in it. Maybe Spike Lee is the real racist, exploiting black negativity to give him the corner on the market for black themed movies.

I think Spike Lee is a big crybaby. He is probably competing with Tarantino for the same audience who are into hip kind of rough movies. Maybe Quentin has a certain finesse that Lee doesn't and it makes him mad.

Slavery is not a holocaust. A holocaust is a purposeful extermination of a race. The blacks were merely slaves, they survived generation to generation. No Jews survived the holocaust unless they escaped.

Maybe Lee should worry about what Jews he is offending with his views of history instead of trying to throw the race card at Tarrantino.

tenley

So many ignorant a**holes on here. Spike Lee directed Do The Right Thing, f*ck-heads. And Quentin Tarantino is indeed a racist idiot.

Real n the field

Spoiler Alert!! There is a book called "Coal" that was wriiten by a Black Man, call J.Jason Grant, that tells a story about this black ex slave that is a cowboy, and his name is D'iablo! and he goes looking for his wife that is not in the south like this movie, but in mexico!!

now this movie is 99% to the exact as this book.
and when i went looking for the book, it is now priced at $60...0 plus dollars for a paper back.!

Now i have seen quentin interviews on TV Shows, and not one of them does he say where he got the inspiration for this movie!!!

sounds like to me he got ahold of this book, and changed the name from "D'iablo, to D'jango, and instead of the slave looking in mexico, he changed it to the south!!

now i want to know if he bought the wrights, or STOLE IT, like all the hollywood ews do, like they stole the script a black woman wrote called "The Matrix" and tried to be hush hush about the lawsuit.

YouDontSay

George Thorogood
One Bourbon, One Scotch, One Beer

He said "I don't know man, ah she kinda funny, you know"
I said "I know, everybody funny, now you funny too"

Nonsense

Quentin Tarrantino is a weird dude who is way overrated and Spike Lee just wishes he was relevant

BB not bb

Spike Lee is a very negative person. He gives me a headache. I can feel the racism seething through his movies. I actually thought Jackie Brown was a black movie probably made all by blacks. I didn't know that an Italian directed. The plot was really good. I know a black person who also really liked it.

Maybe you have to be somewhat cool to get it.

Kaaka

I do like spike but his response is very much short sighted , Wouldn't it help to see the MOVIE FIRST then state your opinion, Since you would be in a better position to dissect it, Because hating right of the bat comes off as sour grapes.

liquidbabydoll

mr jones forgets they are EVERYONES ancestors !
They don't only belong to him because they share somewhat similar shades of skin. That kind of thinking is racist.
There was once a dream , that we wouldn't notice the difference in skin color

r2s

Spike lee is disrespectful to MY ancestors lol