Charles Durning

'Best Lil' Whorehouse' Actor

Dead at 89

12/25/2012 4:00 AM PST BY TMZ STAFF
breaking news

1225-charles-durning-getty
Charles Durning -- the 2-time Academy Award nominee who was known as the "King of the Character Actor" -- died Monday at his home in New York.

The 89-year-old actor appeared in a TON of movies during his incredible career -- including "The Best Little Whorehouse in Texas," "The Sting," "Tootsie," and "Dick Tracy."

According to Durning's agent and friend Judith Moss, Charles died of natural causes.

Before he became a star, Durning was a soldier in the U.S. Army -- and even stormed Normandy on D-Day during WW2.

Durning was the only member of his patrol who survived the Battle of the Bulge -- but he suffered serious injuries in the fight, followed by a mental breakdown.

Durning -- who received 3 Purple Hearts for his service -- had explained, "There's only so much you can witness."

Durning is survived by his wife and 3 children.  And like a true American hero, Durning will be buried at Arlington National Cemetery.

R.I.P.

Food$tamp

First beitches! Don't even know what the story is about

Dick Fitswell

It's about a American hero who got Into acting an just passed away you fu-- terd

tmzer

ohh. how do i know him? i've seen him on ncis.

rip

Lee

RIP Charles. You are a hero and a mensch.

Anonymous

I LOVED his portrayal of a Medal of Honor recipient on NCIS.
In real life, he was awarded the Silver Star, two Bronze Stars, and three Purple Hearts. A true American hero.

Janine

He was a powerful actor... R.I.P

Tracy

On Everybody Loves Raymond he was the Barrones priest. Best role for me was in Home for the Holidays with Robert Downey Jr and Holly Hunter..get it on Netflix or whatever it will change your Christmas mood! It is now a family tradition to watch it.

Fred

He was an awesome actor. He was also one of the few survivors of the Malmedy massacre during World War 2. If you're not familiar with it, do a search on it. Thanks for your entertainment and service to our country, Mr. Durning.

Cheryl A.

Rest in Peace, Mr. Charles. You always made me laugh, just with your facial expressions. Deepest condolences to his family and friends.

Squatting Thunder

Damn I liked him Great actor. R.I.P.

JJ

RIP
Another real Actor gone.
All that's left now are the wussies like Clooney, Cruise and Damon.
People who have had a privileged life...

This guy PAID THE FREIGHT big time for others.

LAPartyMcSage

My dad knew him in Hollywood decades ago when media was larger than life and screens big and small were still entertaining. I think I had written something that he critiqued like a school teacher. So like a lot of showbiz types, he had a patronizing ego. And I think he settled for a lot of supporting roles because he was haunted by WW2. But for him to become an actor after what he went through was a feat in itself. So he'll be missed.

Bridget

I loved him as Tommy Gavins dad on "Rescue Me". He was so great in that role. Rest in Peace.

Dazed and Confused

A talented actor and an American hero. He will bei missed. RIP Charles

Truth

ONE OF THE BEST OLD SKOOL CHARACTER ACTORS ON THE PLANET!! IF HE WAS IN IT YOU KNEW THE FLICK WAS GONNA BE HALF DECENT. NOT MANY ACTORS THESE DAYS CHOOSE ROLES FOR QUALITY BUT RATHER FOR THE F*CKING PAYCHECK. #TRUTH!!

| 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | Most Recent | Next 15 Comments