Charles Durning

'Best Lil' Whorehouse' Actor

Dead at 89

12/25/2012 4:00 AM PST BY TMZ STAFF
breaking news

1225-charles-durning-getty
Charles Durning -- the 2-time Academy Award nominee who was known as the "King of the Character Actor" -- died Monday at his home in New York.

The 89-year-old actor appeared in a TON of movies during his incredible career -- including "The Best Little Whorehouse in Texas," "The Sting," "Tootsie," and "Dick Tracy."

According to Durning's agent and friend Judith Moss, Charles died of natural causes.

Before he became a star, Durning was a soldier in the U.S. Army -- and even stormed Normandy on D-Day during WW2.

Durning was the only member of his patrol who survived the Battle of the Bulge -- but he suffered serious injuries in the fight, followed by a mental breakdown.

Durning -- who received 3 Purple Hearts for his service -- had explained, "There's only so much you can witness."

Durning is survived by his wife and 3 children.  And like a true American hero, Durning will be buried at Arlington National Cemetery.

R.I.P.

Missy

Great actor. Loved him in Tootsie and Starting Over. And American hero. RIP

Sloane

wonderful actor- really under rated
loved him so much on the Burt Reynolds sitcom Evening Shade maybe 20 years ago

stlrockn

A REAL AMERICAN HERO. GOD BLESS YOU SIR. THANK YOU FOR YOUR SERVICE TO OUR COUNTRY.

nan

Rest in Peace..Seems guys of that generation didnt talk alot about what they had been put through.
Must have been a really harrowing experience to lose everyone in your company..

ohS0lovelyy

who cares? lol

SNAFU

Couldn't imagine what he went through during the war. Wonder how PTSD was treated in his day? Have to give him serious credit, he probably had to just suck it up and get on with life. At least he didn't commit suicide or grab a gun and kill a bunch of people, like happens so often now. RIP, Mr. Durning, you must have been a real man.

DeeMaree

Thank you for your service to our country. When one of my daughters was mini hostess at the age of four in Texas they read out the favorite things of each of the minis. I had not heard my daughter's answers and smiled at favorite food meatloaf and potatoes, favorite color yellow, favorite movie, Best Little Whorehouse in Texas. The crowd roared in laughter and their approval. I was busy telling everyone it was the TV version which had none of the more questionable scenes in it while trying to disappear in my seat. Lol. She loved Dolly and had no idea about the WHAT of the movie, just loved watching Dolly. And Mr Durning as the Governor of Texas, now you see me now you don't, was hysterical. A true redention of a politician. Thanks also for the memory Charles Durning. Have peace and happiness...

LindaLou

One of the best character actors EVER!! When he dances on stage as Governor Pappy O'Daniel in "O Brother Where Art Thou?", I always laugh. Had no idea his early life and military service were so rough. They don't make 'em like this anymore.

Meh..

Silver Star and 3 Purple Heart's , RIP PFC Durning.

RamHead

The only film I remember is Dark night of the scarecrow (1981). Liked the moment he was spiked!

SNAFU

I think The Choirboys was the first movie I saw him in.

irekei

He played the Priest (Debra & Raymond went to counseling/advice) in "Everybody Loves Raymond" episodes. Great character actor. RIP

Ray

Liked him in the "hindenberg" also

aj

He was so cute in "whorehouse" when he did that little sidestep song and dance. I wish I had know what a war hero he was. Makes him even more special.

SakkeL

War hero.

Why is it this is said now? Why not when he lived? I bet this type of news would be more interesting to read than finding something bad to say about everybody.

Previous 15 Comments | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | Most Recent | Next 15 Comments