Charles Durning

'Best Lil' Whorehouse' Actor

Dead at 89

12/25/2012 4:00 AM PST BY TMZ STAFF
breaking news

1225-charles-durning-getty
Charles Durning -- the 2-time Academy Award nominee who was known as the "King of the Character Actor" -- died Monday at his home in New York.

The 89-year-old actor appeared in a TON of movies during his incredible career -- including "The Best Little Whorehouse in Texas," "The Sting," "Tootsie," and "Dick Tracy."

According to Durning's agent and friend Judith Moss, Charles died of natural causes.

Before he became a star, Durning was a soldier in the U.S. Army -- and even stormed Normandy on D-Day during WW2.

Durning was the only member of his patrol who survived the Battle of the Bulge -- but he suffered serious injuries in the fight, followed by a mental breakdown.

Durning -- who received 3 Purple Hearts for his service -- had explained, "There's only so much you can witness."

Durning is survived by his wife and 3 children.  And like a true American hero, Durning will be buried at Arlington National Cemetery.

R.I.P.

JoanneVLavender

They neglected to mention his role in Mel Brooks's "To Be Or Not To Be" as a bumbling Nazi terrified of Hitler's reaction to being called a pickle-face.

american badass

salute you buddy!R.I.P

fk

I remember seeing him in an episode of Everybody Loves Raymond. May he rest in peace.

Maurice H

The story forgets to also say he was awarded the Silver Star. That is one heck of an honor to win in combat. A great actor and a great American has left us. Let us cheer him one more time!

RONNIE

Charles Durning,I love him in ,"TWILIGHT'S LAST GLEAMING",with Burt Lancaster,a terrific movie.He may have come on the scene later in years ,but he made his impression on me,one terrific,smoothe actor. Have a good journey Mr. Durning,you will be missed.,and Thank's for your TALENT.

John F. C. Taylor

Don't forget his TV creds as the doctor on Evening Shade.

alantatanka

Powerful actor. So enjoyed his serious roles but found him extremely funny in silly ones. I for one, will miss him.

Cindy

I saw him in many movies. He was a good actor.

brinkly99

RIP. You have earned it

brinkly99

I think we are getting to many future stars and losing to many older stars.
I personly think all the kardasian, should be spaded, including mama and bruce, this mama would sell her soul to make money and its hard to beleive she incouraged her daughter to make a sex tape and sell it. It seems the people are to going to hell in a hand basket

Previous 15 Comments | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4