Gen. Schwarzkopf

Stormin' Norman

Dead at 78

12/27/2012 5:15 PM PST BY TMZ STAFF
breaking news

1227_Norman-Schwarzkopf-article-gettyGeneral H. Norman Schwarzkopf -- the commander of U.S. forces during the first Iraq conflict -- has died in Tampa, Florida.

Schwarzkopf became popularly known as "Stormin' Norman" during 1991 Gulf War that booted Iraqi dictator Saddam Hussein's forces out of neighboring Kuwait.

Operation Desert Storm lasted just over a month as Schwarzkopf's international coalition made quick work of the Iraqi troops.

Schwarzkopf had retired in Tampa where he held his last assignment as commander-in-chief of U.S. Central Command.

Schwarzkopf was 78 years old. Cause of death is unclear, at this point.

Side note about "Stormin' Norman" -- aside from his military success he was also largely responsible for Katie Couric's rise to fame.

Couric was in Kuwait covering the Gulf War for NBC and scored several interviews with Gen. Schwarzkopf -- and she was offered the 'Today' co-anchor position about a month after one of those interviews.

Ih8Taxes

He was a great American hero. We really could use him now. God's speed sir.

_Taterman

R.I.P. General Stormin' Norman .... and yes, I securely lusted for Katie Couric from her late twenties through her forties. I loved her legs!!

mark

yes take the obstructionist Republicons with you. You know , The people that ran up the dept in the iraq war and kept it off the books. The same White trash that is destroying the economy now./

Food$tamp

R.I.P

Meggie24

I think it's cute how TMZ has degraded from a once really solid entertainment news site to a gossipy blog and yet they try to pull off respectable journalism routine by reporting on the death of General Schwarzkopf.

TMZ: determine your vision/strategy then stick to it. You're all over the map and you have no clear direction anymore. Ie: you can't report on Kim Kardashian's nip slips then want to be taken seriously as journalists by then reporting on the death of a revered General .

Diamond Goddess!

R.I.P., Patriot!!!
THANK YOU for your service.

bitchfistcomics.com

R.I.P. Storm'n Norman

Menace to society

We salute you for serving our country

Paul Wilson

After the first desert storm, he (1) muffed an opportunity to shoot Saddam when they were at the war, and (2) He accused women of the USA of causing trouble in the USA.

He was just a trouble-maker.

MC

A class act and a first-rate general. They don't make them like Stormin Norman anymore. R.I.P. General.

diane

I remember him being larger than life. RIP General

Ali

A true Man of Honor! RIP and thank you for your dedication and service to our country. You made it better and stronger. We desperately need more people like you but sadly we're declining badly. Not many men now days are true men.

Sir Boo

I thought this site was about Hollywood celebrities.

john

RIP Stormin Norman....God bless.

rhode

To Gen. Schwarzkopf 's family. I'm sorry for your loss.

Previous 15 Comments | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | Most Recent | Next 15 Comments